The Chicken experience! Tetra Tints, Bantam Silkies,Yoko Tractor/coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TENCHICKENS, Jun 14, 2011.

1. TENCHICKENS

TENCHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Hello all.

This is my CHICKEN EXPERIENCE.

We decided to buy some chicks back in May. I bought Eight "TETRA TINTS" and Three "Silkie Bantams". Those birds all did well (I did lose one Tetra Tint I think it got trampled). Those birds are all growing up nicely. I went to a chicken swap at tractor supply this past sunday and bought Two "YOKOHAMA" pullets. When I got home, one escaped my grasp and flew into the woods like a pheasant. This thing could fly better than some farm raised pheasants released into the wild. I clipped the wings on the other one.

I also bought Five Rhode Island Red chicks. They are a week old and showing feathering on their wings and some on their back.

Here are pictures of everything so far. My dad owns a junkyard so supplies are always around. I built the tractor and the Coop with materials that were laying around.

The coop is built from a "meat truck" box and I attached it to an old utility trailer. I built nesting boxes and a roost in there but now I only have to build the small door for the chickens to come out. The tractor was build with an old Ford Cargo Van Ladder rack which serves as runners on the ground. I used left over angle from department store shelves for the uprights and chicken netting and chicken wire for the sides and top. You can see in the one picture where I didn't have the top on yet the chickens were able to roost on the uprights! I didn't think the Tetras could fly THAT well!

The Tetra Tints were sold as "pullets" and the Bantam silkies as mixed. I'm seeing some differences in the Tetra Tints (tails and legs) and wondering if that will be a difference between roo and pullet? Some have green legs, others have yellow. Some have big tails, others have little. Some have legs that are much thicker than the others.

Two of the Silkies have a sixth "toe" that is growing backwards and off of the fifth toe. Are these roos?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by