The Chicken Project Starts!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheChickenProject, May 20, 2010.

1. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    The Chicken Project Starts!

My 9 year old daughter has been begging for a pet chicken ever since our trip to Tractor Supply. At first I was hesitant but she is a great kid who always thinks of others first so I had a hard time telling her no.

I'm still in the research phase trying to get all the information I can about raising chickens. I've decided on the breed and am making plans for the coop. Thank you to all the members that have posted plans and ideas on your coops. As I get further along, I may create a page with photos and updates to help other newbies like myself.

I still have a lot of questions but I will post them in the appropriate forums.

John

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Welcome [​IMG] to [​IMG] the [​IMG] forum! [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad [​IMG] you [​IMG] are [​IMG] here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    [​IMG] Glasd you could join us!

4. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Welcome! I can tell you first hand that chickens as pets are easier than dogs and can lead to a great understanding of construction, money handling, biology, genetics and so much more. What breed did you decide on? Keep her involved with the coop building process if you can because those are skills she might never have learned and are really empowering for girls.

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Welcome!

My partner in crime is my DD (11) too [​IMG] I hope you find, as we have, that this is a really special thing for the two of you to share. [​IMG]

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. It is a great place. [​IMG]

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi John! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! You'll just love owning chickens. Just remember, they're addicting!! [​IMG]

9. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Thank you everyone!

Marie1234, my daughter wants Easter Eggers. She saw the eggs at a tractor supply swap and that's where it started.

This should be fun as I am looking forward to building the coop with her. We still have a lot to learn but are looking forward to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by