The chicken soap opera.......

crzychickenlady

Songster
12 Years
Jan 31, 2007
Brought over from EZ as well......

I decided to start this thread to share the trials of daily life here. I think it will be amusing and might just give you all a little laugh. I figure I will add to it often, as new events arise. lol. My plan here is to take pictures and video and add them here with stories, for your amusement.
I hope you enjoy.

It was a peaceful day in the yard. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping....just a beautiful summer day.

Everything seems so peaceful......seems being the keyword here...

Every flock has it's unique pecking order....a series of events that seem random to us, but this is the every day "grind" of the chicken world. It is the same "every day grind" that us humans go thru. Going to work, coming home and taking care of the daily chores and family issues.

I notice that my birds have their little jobs and places in the "chicken community"

They wait ever so patiently(yea right) to be let out for their free range time each day....this consists of them lining up at the pen door and pacing feverishly as they look at their wing watches. "Ummmm, it's a quarter past 1 o'clock!!! OPEN.....THE.....DOOOR!!!!"

This begins their daily grind in the yard.

They rush out, one after another in what seems to be a feverish herd of feathers passing me by like a subway train races to it's next destination.

Thus begins the work at hand, The chatter begins and everyone takes their stations!

Murphy is a surly roo.....Large, cumbersome, clumsy, cantankerous bag of feathers....and just an all around amusing fella.
He heads for the back door, this will be his station for most of the afternoon. He stands up on his tip toes and peeks in the door, waiting for the opportune moment to sneak in as someone comes out. Then his station will be at the cat food bowl, slinging as much cat food across the kitchen as can be possible. This task takes him about 30 minutes to an hour and then he moves back to the door and stands there staring and pacing until it is opened and he can rush out to his next station....This next station consists of the backs of every hen that isn't watching over her shoulder.
All the while he growls....constantly growling...almost groaning about his duties and how they annoy him. I suppose this is to make a show for the other birds......but they all know he is full of it.....
The biggest mommas boy you have ever seem.....aside from Lucas (rest his soul).

07-07-08_2004-1.jpg

Then we have Butterball.....this has to be the most stressed out bird I have ever seen(check the hair-do)!
He started off as head roo.....not sure where this went awry....nonetheless....it did.
This bird cannot do the simplest task without looking over his shoulder and most of the time scaring himself. He can be pecking the ground...not another bird in sight and he will jump 3 feet in the air and cry out......*shaking head*......altho quite amusing...a little sad in the same turn.

100_0311.jpg

Amongst all of the normal daily grind...........ohhhh, what's this??
It's bath time!!

Apparently there is a "hot spot"...if you will.....the golden nugget of bathing spots.......the "place to be".....

Now I have to wonder.....people question the intelligence of chickens......they are quite intelligent...for the most part.....but this, it puzzles me.
There are any number of areas in the yard that can be bathed in, but this particular spot seems to be IT!

It's quite amusing to see this drama unfold.

One hen walks over and decides to have a bath...then another....then another....and then you have nothing more than a pile of feathers in a dirt hole.....

Of course, Murphy has to come over and walk thru....and on top of them as they bathe....

The video link isn't working right, it used to have a play button on it.....Not sure what happened there?

So cute! I clicked the pic and the movie still started without the arrow. Beware though, I didn't realize my volume was that high and when the rooster started crowing so did my BR roo that was sleeping on the deck rail outside my sliding glass door. Needless to say my husband who worked 14 hrs today started yelling shut that rooster up or hes dinner (he had just fallen to sleep). Anyone want to save a BR come get him I live in eastern NC. lol Oh keep that movie on there, now I know how to wake him up when I want to. hehehe

Back
Top Bottom