1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Chicken "Squat"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lunachick, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I'm new at this. My husband sez he's seen this in the cartoons of chickens - the chicken squat - That's when you go over to one of them to pick one up and they just see you coming and then "squat" with their wings out just a little bit. Is this a classic chicken move? They do it everytime. I think it's adorable. Or are they just a little scared, and trying to get used to us? They don't move away, just squat and wait for the pick up. Any ideas?

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I think this has to do with waiting for the rooster. My li'l ones (5wks) don't squat that's for sure. They are too busy running! But I think once they reach egg-laying age they will.

-Meghan

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    They think you are a rooster coming to mate with them. The chickens who are lowest on the pecking order are the ones who will squat most readily.
    [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep. That's right. They think you are the roo.

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    OK! That makes sense! I still think it's cute.

6. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    Does yours kinda "stomp" its feet real fast too at the same time as the squat and wing spreading? My one laying (so far) girl does this.

Forrest

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Yes Thunderstruck, I have two hens, and the "boss" Ruby does the stomp. The other one just squats. Interesting tho isn't it?

8. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    I have a few that stomp & squat, my alpha hen ( I don't have roos) hardly squats, but she's kinda butchy:D
    Its really funny when you pet them & rub their neck while they are squatting, they let out little squeels. Then when you're done they sort of shake it off, I guess that's the hens equivelent of smoking a cigarette after sex:lau

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

True LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by