The Chicken Whisperer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllChookUp, Aug 19, 2008.

1. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    OK, maybe that's a bit of a stretch...

I was sitting in the run, watching my 11 Orps and GLWs (all about 8 weeks old). After sitting there for a while, I started mimicking their chirping noises. Once in a while, I'd do something that got their attention - They would all stop picking at the ground, stand up straight and look at me, quizically. Then they'd go back to pecking at the ground and scattered feed.

I thought, "Hey, I must be saying something they understand".
    So, I kept doing my little chirping noises.

Then it happend.

I let out a couple more chirps. Suddenly, all of them stopped and stared at me. Then half of came rushing at me, showing behavior as though they were going to attack me.

They stopped, and then went back about their business like nothing had happened.

What the heck did I "say" to them? Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    Too weird.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

No, its not weird. Chickens, like everything else, have a language. Just because we cant understand chinese, doesn't mean they aren't communicating with us and don't have important things to tell us.
    Chickens love to have us talk to them, just like we enjoy their company. I think it makes a lot of sense seeings they are so basic, related to the dinosour, simplicity is what they need and met. You can learn and laugh a lot from a chicken.
    One thing I have to laugh at is a Ameraucana roo has this special bahbahbah booooak when he sees a hen that he likes. Well, I was at a poultry show and back to this cage when I heard that sound. Curious if it was my Louie (gave him away), I turned and it was a beautiful handsome Ameraucana Roo.
    I question the language, if certain breeds have simular language or if all roos sound that way when greeting someone. (never thought I was sexy, let alone to a roo....[​IMG])
    So continue the whispering, it will bring you great joy. Eventually you will learn the warning, food and happy sounds. This is when we all learn how pretty a chicken sounds after a long cold winter and she is strolling through the grass. Have lots of fun! ~Kel

3. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    One of my children learns chicken language. Normally our chickens go into their coop and pen at night or we use scratch if we want them to go in during the day. In the middle of the day I told her to put the chickens up so she went outside but didn't take any scratch. She comes back in 2 minutes later and tells me they're put up. I asked her how she did it so quick without scratch and she told me Reddy (her chicken) taught her what to say. I was very impressed! I tried it one time and it worked but not quite as quickly. I must not have the accent quite right.

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I think kids are far more open to figuring out how to communicate than we are.
    Maybe she can give us lessons!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Every once in a while, when my hubby and I are out sitting watching the girls, he'll try a cluck or gravelly "errrr" sound. If he's lucky, the girls will look up suddenly, stare for just a second, as if saying to themselves "did we really just hear him say THAT?", as if it was a chicken swear word or something, then they'll shake it off and go back to pecking at the ground... I've got to get my hubby to practice more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by