The chicken who burned down the barn... almost.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by andythescot, Dec 21, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    One of my EEs, Doreen, is currently isolated from the flock because she's got a case of bumblefoot. I figured since its below freezing out, I'd put a heat lamp with her in the barn, just in case she was cold. Well, apparently she was REALLY cold, because she sat RIGHT IN FRONT OF the heat lamp.

When I went out to check on her, she was SMOKING! I rushed over and some of her lovely tail feathers were burning! If I hadn't come out, she would have lit. And she was perched right above a nice dry bed of straw. Thank heavens she's alright!

Now I'm paranoid!!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    holy smokes ( i mean wow) [​IMG]

fix that heat lamp!! [​IMG]...........back to the computer

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    DH said - Are you sure she she isn;t a CRISPY DUCK???????

Do be careful Chickens can cope with quite low temperatures we are - 10 / -12 and I don;t use a heat lamp at all.
    SOme folk say they are ok down to -15.

she is better off cold than toooooo hot - or SMOKIN!!!!!!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

4. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    I only had the lamp on her because she was shivering.. The worst part is, I don't think she would have noticed until she caught fire!!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yikes!

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    we had a fire start once thank fully it didnt spread

7. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    you used a red bulb right?

8. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    wow, i found that both hilarious and scary at the same time...can you think of another safer heat source? Instead of using heat lamps, we have actually laid down a small heating pad and a towel over top of it that has worked really well.

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Heating pads have set fire to people's beds before now, so don't go thinking they're perfectly safe.

If I have to use a heat lamp that's anywhere that anything could possibly get into it, I build a wire cage for it and suspend it in the cage. The heat goes out, but nothing can touch the light.

Obviously all other precautions (double-affixing the light, making sure it can't be knocked over) apply.

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Oh Man!!! She was probably thinking she's feeling so toasty . . . then you come along and ruin it!! You were fortunate this time! Now, don't do that again (insert smilie wagging a finger).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by