The chickens aren't getting along.

KnittingKnutty

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
I am not sure where to post this so I guess I will in a few places. I have 8 chickens. Two of them are new to the barrio. We got them on Saturday. My other chickens are so mean. They won't let them out of the hen house. I try to put food and water in there for the new girls and they go in and take that over too. I don't have ANY way to separate them so I need some suggestions.

Is this how i start a new thread?

Yep, you started a new thread.
smile.png
Can you lock the older chickens out of the coop so the new ones can eat? Also, you might make a safe place for the newbies to get away, like under a box, behind some boards, etc. Distract the older ones while the new ones eat. If you can keep them fed and watered, and give them a place to get away from the other girls, time will probably take care of the bullying problem, if they are all about the same size/age.

i have done the same got two new one as and put them in the coop and they are getting bullied what ive been told by everyone here so far:

they will get bullied for a little while its the pecking order
make sure they can eat and drink - give seperate food and drinks around
if necessary you can get the teamleader on the bullying if it gets too bad and stick in chicken jail! ( onits own in a large dog crate with food and water for exaple)

keep an eye open for any open wounds and blood as chickens can turn really nasty if they see this.
i hope this helps a little
xx

I am having the same problem! I introduced two new chickens a couple weeks ago, my orpingtons have grown to like them, however my sexlink and golden laced wyandotte HATE the new ones! They are only a month or so younger than the established flock. I had to make a chicken jail, which is where they are right now, and have had them in there for a week. I had a problem with my glw about a month ago, she pecked the top of the beak on one of my orpingtons, so there was a big chip on the end of her beak that was missing
somad.gif
. I am afraid she will do the same thing to my little Dixi... but I think I will just let them both out today, and see what happens. Sooner or later they will get along, I hope!
fl.gif
There is PLENTY of open room, a very large covered run, as well as a large outdoor run, and a spacious coop, which is where they run into when chased.. so there is a safe place to go.
If you can't get a dog crate or something, do what so lucky suggested, lean a board up against a wall or something where they can go hide, that distracts the others for a bit to give the new ones a break to catch their breath!
Chickchicks: Thank you for the advice.. #1 is the hardest to accept, as the pecking order seems so mean! I can't stand seeing my chickens being mean to eachother.. around here we BE NICE!!!! I think I may be over-mothering!!! I can't believe how much time and effort, mentally and physically, I am putting into them!
th.gif
I love them so much!!!!
love.gif

I am having the same problem... have 2 cornish cross that are a bit crippled their legs was broken when the got too heavy... they have lost alot of weight and have healed since then but they walk with limps and are doing great.. one day I let them out of the cage I had them in and none of the other chicks bothered them , when i went to put them back in the cage, they had already went in the coop with the other birds... but them poor babys.. when I opened the coop in the morning they were running to me and the other birds was jumping on them and pecking them... I couldn't believe it!!! They were all so nice in the begining, apparently outsiders are not welcomed... I am not going to slaughter the crosses, because I cared for them when they were sick and got them healthy again, I kinda got attached! so the DH said now is going to build them a super small coop just for them and they can be loose in the yard because right now they don't go very far at all , but it's funny because they follow me everywhere and have gotten used to being carried around by me and the kids,, so they are official pets now... we named them CLICK AND CLACK....

Having the same problem too! My poor new hens do not leave the coop unless I am in the run and can intervene. It is only then that they come down for a drink of water and a few pecks to the ground. I have ordered some pinless peepers for my 3 hens that do not seem to be getting better after 2 weeks of this bullying. Look up "pinless peepers" under byc search. They have pictures of what they are and how they work. I hope they work!

Quote:
same here i knew it would happen but i find it hard to watch and usually jump in and carry betty around to calm her down as she is the nasty one .
i always cuddle the new ones and give them treats tomake them feel happy they even have there own bed /roost just for them sothey can relax at night ! its really hard to watch and i do wish they would get along from day one too

today two of my babies are going to a new home
sad.png
there roosters so they cant stay im very upset but atthe saem time hopingthe change may make it easier for thenew ones to join in.

they are now names ruby and saphire and have the leg rings to match there names!

ive now made sure that the "upstairs" the shelves are just for them and they have food water bedding and treats up there just incase anything happens they have a place of their own but stillhave the optionto try and say hello .
they now have one friend out ofthe others who now sleeps with them at night and occasionally hangs with them during the day so a little progress

yay

Finally all my girls are getting along.It wasn't very nice of me but i didn't feed them for about two days....they were all in the same boat : a little less mean and more hungry. So when they did get food they didn't mind the others were out with them because they were happy to just be eating It's funny my head Hen really isn't mean to them it's the others. So anyway it worked, at least for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom