The 'chickens aren't laying' Thread

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckcluckgirl, Dec 22, 2014.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I don't know if anyone else's chickens are doing this, but mine are. They molted this year, finished up their molt, started laying good again (8 eggs a day from 14 hens), then within a week went down to 1 egg a day from 14 hens. Sometimes I'll get 2 eggs a day if I'm real lucky. They declined their production so fast, and there's nothing wrong. They're all well within the laying age, none of them have any illnesses, there's no stress (I make an effort to make them happier each day), and food and water is plentiful. They just stopped. They were laying pretty good considering the daylight hours, but now (with the daylight hours still the same as when I was getting eggs) they're just not laying much.

Anyone else's chickens doing this?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you certain they are not just hiding them, or someone is brooding them?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This time of year second year or older hens generally take a break. It's the norm.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?

When (what week of what month) did they start laying after the molt?
    I assume they are over 18 months old?

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    No, they have a very large coop area that's fenced in. There's not really anywhere to hide the eggs out there because it's very open. They started laying again in late November-early December. That was when the egg laying was at its peak of 8 out of 14 hens laying. Yes, most are over 18 months old. I have a batch of 7 new chicks that are just over 4 months old, but I'm not including them in those 14 hens since they're not near laying yet.

6. puss58

puss58 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Union Vale, NY
    I have 22 hens of laying age. I'm lucky if I get 4 eggs a day now. I keep warning them that if they don't start, they'll have the stew pot as a swimming pool. They pay me no mind.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably just the long nights/short days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by