The chickens didn't know it was raining

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 3chickchicks, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Songster

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    The chickens didn't know it was raining.
    This morning, I opened the gate for the little girls (almost 10 weeks old). They scrambled towards the gate, running over each other in a race to be first. One awkwardly slipped on the ramp. Another ran towards it like the koolaid man. The third flapped her way over. They were excited about another day of picking at grass, searching for bugs and pooping. They had no idea what would greet them outside.

As soon as they emerged from under the protective overhang, the first rain drop hit them. They let out a chorus of screeches and peeps, cussing me for such a dirty trick while running back under the coop at breakneck speeds.
    It's probably the second time they've ever seen rain and the first time I had closed them up in the coop. You have so much to experience, girls.

Tell me about your chickens' first time.

2. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Well my chickens were pretty dim witted, they got soaked until I put more cover things in their run. They didn't mind the rain and they drooped their tails.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    My girls handle it pretty well depending on what kind of rain it is. One day a bit ago we had a surprise storm and it poured like I haven't seen it pour in ages and it just so happened that day I had cleaned the coop and closed the pop door so the chicks weren't happen to get back into the coop. I was napping when the storm started and by the time I got up and ran outside they already looked like horrible drowned rat. I ran to the coop and opened the door but the girls wouldn't move. I had to run around to the run and push them in. I looked like I jumped in the pool, it was bad lol

4. ukuleledave

ukuleledave In the Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Mayberry, NC
    My ladies will stand in the rain, pecking at worms. I think they like it.

5. TiaRC

TiaRC Songster

Jul 16, 2013
    Carteret county, NC
    All 40 of my chicks will take cover not in their coop but on the front porch looking into the house, almost as if they were cussing me for being dry. Note that the porch can only accommodate maybe 20. So its packed! Tiny half feathered heads with out stretched necks peering in the door. Makes me laugh every time.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] They are funny when they first experience rain, but they get used to it really fast! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by