The chickens gotta go

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Haywire, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Haywire

Haywire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm moving in a month or so and the chickens gotta go. There's a 40 y/o one page restriction list that mentions no fowl. No veggie gardens in the front yard either (not a problem lol).

Found a home for the coop and the chickens, but maybe I can reclaim a couple of them once I get to know the neighbors. I went a little overboard on the numbers and was producing 3-4 times the eggs we need anyway. 7 hens and 1 rooster make 2-3 dozen a week or thereabouts and not all the hens are laying yet. I think no rooster and 2-3 laying hens might be just right.

Ian

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    maybe a few little dutch bantys or d' uccles? my d' uccle laid two days in a row and then took a day of.

3. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Just for thought...have family of 4 and 4 BO hens. They lay plenty of eggs for our family. Only time I ran short was during their molt this late fall and then only needed to purchase about 6 eggs since I was still getting average of 1 a day.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm sorry Ian. I hope that you can keep a few, and find good homes for the rest.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    See I would get in trouble for the chickens and the front yard garden. Gosh, I can't stand these restrictions.Best wishes!

Could you keep *pet* hens? I had 1-2 in the house at times to recover over issues,and they were laying eggs and being their usual pecking,scratching,and bawking selves. I actually missed them when they were put outside again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by