The chickens great adventure

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by woodmort, Sep 18, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Today was the first time the chickens have been free of the chicken yard. It wasn't planned, in fact I spent yesterday covering half the yard with fishline to ward off a repeat of a hawk attack but I inadvertently left the door to the main part of the coop open and, once I realize it, had the parade following me. At that point I figured I'd be outside working all afternoon anyway--time to dig potatoes--so what the heck. Well, the birds had a ball. First the 3 survivors headed for the bird feeder to clean up under it and pretty much spent the day there. The rest visited most of the back yard from the blueberry patch to the south windbreak. Actually, given they were in the underbrush and multiflora roses as well as the blueberry patch, they were probably safer than they would have been in the wide open chicken yard. When I went down at dusk, I counted beaks and all 44 were all back in so guess their adventure went well. Might be a while before we do that again as I'm golfing tomorrow and Monday. Once the garden is cleaned out and the fence is down, it'll be a regular experience--hopefully the hawk migration will be over by then too.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That would have made a nice, family movie "Chicken's Wild Day Out."

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Have them wreck my Kabota?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Have them wreck my Kabota?

[​IMG]

5. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    Quote:along with the cds I ran a cloths line in 2 spots going perpendicular to eachother and I hang an old white sheet on it and move it every couple days acts as a nice scare crow... I lost one to hwks and now with cds and sheet the hawks stay away...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by