The chickens had a celebration this morning!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Alma, my EE has been laying for the past two weeks. This morning I saw her in the nesting box. About a half hour later I heard her singing the egg song. This is the first time she's done thins since she's been actually laying. Then Freda, the RIR went in the hen house to have a look and joined in on the egg song. Then Pauly, the PR rooster even joined in the chorus! They were really having a celebration! Does this mean that Freda may be next or is she just teasing me?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine all started within a few days of singing.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    Mine started practicing the egg song last week and over the weekend several of my ladies started laying. [​IMG]
    So it shouldn't be long till you see some eggs.

4. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Really really really??? So Freda wasn't just excited about Alma's egg and decided to play a trick on me? She could be ready to lay too???? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    whats really funny is when everyone sings the egg song, even the roo! then the guinneas start as if they want to be part of it! glad we don't live in town

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Egg songs around here always sound like a massacre, everybody's singing it at the same time from the hen that laid the egg, to my roo, to the smallest hen. And then there's Miss Maggie, who sings the egg song for no reason other than she likes to mess with my head.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  7. BethESH

BethESH Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard "the egg song." Is that like the chicken polka???

[​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My roosters seem to sing the egg song more than the hens do. I wish they would quit talking about it, and get to laying already. [​IMG] Darn roosters always teasing me that they are gonna lay, but never deliver [​IMG]

9. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi mrbstephens, seems like all my 5 month old b/o pullets are singing their egg song. Only 4 are laying though, at least as far as I can tell. All the noise has me worried. They are sooo loud! I'm starting to think that the neighbors will be reporting me. The ladies seem to be louder than any roo can be. I wish they'd stop.

We are in Greenlawn and although it is legal to keep up to 8 hens (roos are outlawed and recently a neighbor got a visit from the town telling her to get rid of her roos). I'm hoping we don't get any visits telling us to keep them quiet or else. I never knew they could make sooo much noise. And it's not exactly a nice sound either![​IMG] I think a rooster sounds much nicer and more melodic than what's going on in my backyard right now. [​IMG]

Where are you on Long Island?

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Well, it's more like the Egg YELL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by