The Chickens I purchased appear to be to fat!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by glockandcuffs, Jan 1, 2014.

1. glockandcuffs

glockandcuffs New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
    The chickens I purchased from a breeder appear to be to fat. I noticed that the chickens had un-eaten bread in the area where they were kept. Also I observed a rear of a pick-up truck full of bread, that I'm assuming that had to be the main diet she fed the chickens. I need to know how to slim these chickens down, because they are as fat has (double hockey stick word). I only have the three rhode island red hens that I purchased from her, and do not plan on obtaining others. My question is how to get these chickens to lose weight without harming them, and without a treadmill. What should I feed them and how much? My chickens are kept in a 4x8 foot cage, with a wire floor, in closed with plywood and tin sheeting. They need to be kept like this do to hawks, racoons and ect, they will not be free ranging.

2. glockandcuffs

glockandcuffs New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
    P.S. I have no clue how old they are, she did advise they were not laying yet. They appear to have all their feathers and they are not little chicks. I would assume they are approx. 15 weeks or better in age. But I really don't have a clue! I'm just guessing.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Good job noticing the health of your new birds. Sounds like with pick-up load of bread the owner was picking up old stock from a bakery in an attempt to save $'s. You need to feed a balanced blend of feed, keep em off the 100% bread diet and if you can expand their run or add a run so they can move more and scratch. If they are around 15-16 weeks I'd put them on crumbles for a bag or two and then switch over to layer pellets. Check them over good for other health issues. Best to you and girls.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Get them on a good diet and don't offer up any fatty foods or seeds for a while. Also, getting them out to free range for a while each day will help burn off calories too.

Good luck with your new birds and enjoy BYC!

5. [​IMG]
    All chickens need a diet of mostly layer pellets, and the layer pellets should always be available for them to eat. Laying hens must eat these or they will not get enough calcium, and they can break bones. Good Luck!

6. glockandcuffs

glockandcuffs New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
    O.k.....Thanks.....I will start feeding them the pellets. Someone mentioned check for other health problems. Like what.....I never raised chickens before! Anyone recommend a good book to obtain in regards to beginner's.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

Why yes, BYC has Raising Chicken for Dummies and Chicken Health for Dummies - just check in the store [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As others have suggested feed a commercial diet as much as they will eat AM and PM.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Also check out the BYC Learning Center for articles on raising chicks. If you are not sure how old they are, and they seem fat, you might want to feed them Grower until you get the first egg (especially if they may be younger than you think). Grower usually has a lower protein % than Layer, and it doesn't have the extra calcium. One other question, you are sure she had Rhode Island Reds and not some sort of Red meat bird crosses like Red Rangers etc?

10. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us, Happy Holidays! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by