The Chicken's "Natural" Diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blondiebee181, Jan 31, 2014.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Okay guys, so we've all been to the store and seen the packaging on chicken products that says "All-Natural, vegetarian-fed" But I can't help but laugh a little because chickens are by no means vegetarians! Right? My chicken eat everything from their grain feed, to seeds and nuts, bugs, grass and veggies and fruit, steak, pizza, chicken, and yogurt.....they have tried to eat mice and sparrows...chickens are like little garbage disposals...and one of the reasons so many people claim to love organic eggs is because they know the chickens are fed all these little goodies that are said to contribute to higher egg nutrition....So what do you all think? What do your chickens eat? Do you think there's a difference?

1 person likes this.
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's all about marketing. Perdue is doing a TV marketing campaign here and they are promoting their chicken's diet as solely soy, corn and marigolds. That would sound terribly inadequate to anyone who keeps chickens but I guess it sounds good to the city folks eating the meat.

1 person likes this.
  3. CuteChick369

CuteChick369 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    I am getting to the point where I don't trust any label at the grocery store! I don't know if it's true, but I once heard that organic eggs are from chickens who CAN'T be fed bugs, so they have to live on concrete. So organic, cage free, live in a barn or have access to a concrete slab outside. No dust baths or bug foraging for them! So sad! :(

4. BridgetBarger

BridgetBarger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    SE Kansas
    My flock get fed ground feed the same has we make for our cows more or less, then whatever else I feel like throwing to them. They love meat [​IMG]

5. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    RIGHT? Labeling is becoming so much more deceptive which is really sad...not that I don't think chickens should eat grain, they should eat whatever they like [​IMG]Chickens are pretty good at selecting only the best things to eat. They will even root out the best pieces of kibble first in their feed, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by