The chickens of the Sunshine Motel!

I cleaned her up put her in my shirt to warm her back up. She eventually started moving around and I was super relived not to have a dead chick in my shirt.
I did the same thing with Herman, our Blue Splash Silkie chick. He spent a great deal of time in the same article of clothing! He was not only sickly, but he was an "only," so he needed lots of close watching and TLC. Even with all the extra care and attention, we still almost lost him several times. He's now a happy. healthy young rooster who thinks he's a "people." He's even got his own article on BYC (Is There a Rooster in the House?) Herman has come a long way from the scraggly little fluff-ball who scared the living daylights out of my Mom by popping his head up out of my bra when he heard her voice. Where's the video camera when you really need it?

I added another roost tonight, got a couple of pictures while I was at it!
View attachment 1459525
Bill Potts! Billi is my miracle baby. When I went to pick up my chicks at the feed store, they were in these huge, crowded water tanks. I picked all the others before moving to the Wyandottes, as I had three of them. Jackie stood out as a glossy black chick, Martha stood out for having a pretty white face and being a chunker, and I was all set to pick up another chick when this teeny tiny little chick caught my eye, just lying on the floor of the water tank, peeping like a chick in distress, all the others just walking over her.
SO, being a soft hearted idiot, I picked her up amd put her in my box. The employees not so subtly tried to steer me into picking a different one, but I had already decided thar if she was going to die, it may as well be in some peace and quiet.
She had problems at once. Was very weak, couldn't stand, wouldn't eat or drink. I mixed up some electrolytes from a package, and also made a gruel with cornmeal dust, dextrose, and a bit of yogurt.
I didn't have a clue what to do for a sick chick, but all babies have the same formula: clean, dry, warm, fed. So, I gently washed her nasty cruddy bottom off with warm running water, made up a small box with some cotton balls under the light, and used a syringe to feed her some of the gruel.
I was SHOCKED to see her pecking at the feeder the following day. I was expecting a dead chick!
She is now happy and healthy with her sisters!
View attachment 1459527

I just love stories like that. Good for you in saving her life. I can't stop smiling. Way to go.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I just love stories like that. Good for you in saving her life. I can't stop smiling. Way to go.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
Thank you! It wasn't a total win, as I had a NH Red that seemed fine, but was dead the second morning I had them. She seemed fat, healthy, and energetic, but I went out to check my chickies and she was dead! (That's why there is no Amy Pond in my little flock)
Billi, however, is my special little girl, and I am very happy she pulled through!

Some more of my happy little birds!
Billi (front) and Jacki. (I keep changing how I spell her name)
20180709_085913.jpg

Nardole!
20180708_201936.jpg

Half of the flock over here. . .
20180709_085920.jpg

. . . And the other half over here!
20180709_085856.jpg

Jacki and Billi again, this time Jacki in front.
20180709_085907.jpg

Just a couple of fun one of them eating grass seeds!
20180709_085845.jpg

20180709_085850.jpg

20180709_085924.jpg

Back
Top Bottom