1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The chicks and the turtle

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, May 19, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Had the chicks out in the yard this morning and when they all started crowding around something I knew I better check. It was a box turtle. Wonder what that poor thing thought all that noise was when they pecked pecked pecked at his shell. [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Poor thing! Did you rescue him?
    JJ

3. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    I love turtles! How fun.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I pointed him in the direction of the pond, outside the yard. [​IMG]

5. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You're a good egg [​IMG] (if you're not kidding me, that is!)[​IMG].
    I haven't seen a turtle in a very long time - good to hear somebody else is!
    JJ

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not kidding. Our farm is pretty much a safe haven for animals, wild and tame. No one travels the road that leads up to the house but us and the mail carrier and we have two ponds.

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It sounds like a wonderful place, with wonderful people in residence! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So long since I've encountered a turtle that I've been wondering if something's going on in my "neck of the woods" that is making them more scarce...(besides development :|)
    JJ

8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    perhaps they are being "collected" for sale-I wanted to get a female for the male I rescued and hatch out babies so they're so cute- and whenI went "shopping" online- the least costly place advertised that the turtles were "harvested" from woodlands and roadsides.He is still a bachelor. We may release him at Froglevel (my grandparents 26 wooded acres)

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OT, but...I've wondered the same thing. I think we all need to be thinking about what's killing the honeybees and what's causing the white nose syndrome that's destroying colonies of bats. We'll be paying the price in the foods that are sweetened with honey and the flying insect populations will be out of control without the bats doing their job. It makes me sad.

10. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Me too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by