The chicks are 3 & 4 days old today. Can I...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosemi78, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Is it okay at this point to let them use shavings as bedding, or should I wait a while longer?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They are fine to go on shavings. Mine go on shavings from day one, never any problems.

3. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    A couple of mine were probably about 2 days old and were on pine shavings, everything was good. :)

4. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Okay, good. I had read not to put them on shavings right away bc of "pasty butt," so I just wanted to make sure. :)

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have put chicks on shavings right away, and I've also put paper towels over the shavings for a week, when I've only had a few chicks.

Some folks recommend the paper towels so the chicks learn how to eat from their feeder or little plate of chick starter without "getting confused" by the shavings and possibly eating them. They definitely know by the time they are a week old.

I think it's safe for them. Others may not agree.

6. HappyBC

HappyBC Out Of The Brooder

I put mine on shavings...our chicks are the same age.
    No problems here...

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    mine are on chicken sized baby quilts I sewed, and some news paper. I don't have problem with it but it is not the shiney kind. they love their quilts though.

8. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Oh wow. How do you keep their quilts clean?!? I had 8 chicks on newspaper, and I had to change it daily bc they were such pigs!!! I let their bedding get a bit dirty so they don't live in pristine conditions and they build up some sort of immunity, but quilts? Lol, somebody's chicks are obviously a lot more spoiled than mine. ;)

9. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    in the begining they don't poop as much, plus I have the quilts on a raised bed (cigar box) the hop up when they are tired, and hop off when they want to walk around and eat/poop. they do keep it pretty clean.

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG][​IMG]they love'm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by