The chicks are afraid of the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dirtyhip, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I moved them to their coop about a week ago. I run the 250W red heat bulb 24 hrs still. I propped the door open and they were totally scared of the run. I Brought in 7 wheelbarrows of leaves and shredded grass clippings, because the run was pretty icky compacted clay soil. I thought they would like the leaves and grass to scratch around in. Yet, they seem to be scared and huddled together fearing leaving the coop door.

Maybe they are too cold to go out. It's about 40F outside.

They were also afraid of the strawberry I gave them a few days ago. They ran away and shook in the corner. They aren't afraid of me. They eat out of my hand and come to me, but they are strange creatures for sure.

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

How long have you had the door opened-for the whole 7 days? When we first opened ours up, they wouldn't go out for a day or two. When they did, they stayed right close to the door and some stayed in the doorway and just looked around outside. It's scary to be a chicken. [​IMG]

3. auto5man

auto5man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Quote:"scary to be a chicken".....BWAhahahahahahahah!

4. auto5man

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    Sounds like they are just pretty young still, they get more brave as they get older and larger...at least mine did! The first time I put my youngsters out to "free range" in the grass, they just stood in one place for about an hour until I picked them back up. That was couple months ago, now they free range all over the yard.

5. Dirtyhip

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    They are 4 weeks old. They jump out of the front door of the coop easily and freely and peck around. They are terrified of the leaves that I brought in to the run. I brought the stupid leaves in by the barrel to make them happy. Looks like I failed in that regard on the chicken happiness scale. [​IMG] They used to go through the chicken door. Now they stand there looking scared of the leaves. [​IMG]

I don't leave the door open all day and night, because I am afraid of losing them. Plus it is starting to get very cold here. 29F tonight. Their coops is well isulated and like I said above, we are still on a 250F red bulb.

I work full time, and can only let them run around when I am home to make sure everyone is safe. I have the door open now, and I am trying to ignore them a little and let them be.

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Ditto on the age thing...they will become very brave before you know it...give them alittle time. Also, if is 40 degrees where you are and ya open the door and they don't wanna go out...I'd asy they were pretty smart little suckers. Lets see? Inside with heat lamp...ooooh, warm. Or Outside where it's 40 degrees. No brainer, they like the warmth. I know I would, but then again I live in the south. Anyway, good luck with the little ones.
    Erik

7. Dirtyhip

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    Thanks everyone. I swear I have new Mother syndrome. It's pathetic how I am worrying about these girls.

My dog died last summer and these chickens have taken the place of pets in the home. I thought I could be detached, because they are range animals. Nope....I love em. [​IMG]

8. auto5man

Jul 27, 2011
    Memphis
    Don't feel bad, mine are pets to me too! When mine were 4 weeks old I only let them out totally supervised!

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'd take the leaves out & add sand to their run. They love to scratch in the sand they can also bathe in it. Then when they get use to it add the leaves. If their 4 weeks they should be feathered out I would reduce the heat. Ween them from the heat so they can acclimatize to your weather. They need to live without providing them with heat the heat & then getting cold could cause them to get sick. Just like humans going in & out of the cold. They don't wear a down jacket for nothing.

10. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    It took my chicks 3 weeks to even go near the door. It wasn't until the rabbit chased one out in to the run that they realized how awesome it was. One chicke told the rest and before I knew it they were all out there. Eventually they'll go out, just give them time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by