The chicks are coming...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nedfloyd, Apr 1, 2009.

1. nedfloyd

nedfloyd New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your responses to my breed questions!! I ended up ordering 25 Isa Browns that will be here on April 8th. We are all very excited as these will be the first chickens for us recently converted "city folk". I ended up building a coop (with the help of BYC) that is 10x10 but fully insulated with vapour barrier and wired with lighting and 2 heatlamps. I also built an attached 10x10 fully secure & covered area just outside the coop for them that gates into a 20x20 fenced area. What I need to know is how soon can the chicks go into the coop? Do the chicks have to stay in the house for 5+ weeks or can they go into the heated coop sooner than that? The temperature outside has been quite a bit milder as spring arrives - lows of 0 to -4 overnight and highs of 8-12 during the day (that's degrees Celcius up here in Canada) and the snow is melting fast. Do the coop & run measurements I listed above seem large enough for my hens? The fenced area is 4' high & 12" in the ground - should I put barbed wire 18" above that to keep the local dogs from jumping the fence?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] We ahve ours completely cooped due to predators, but Iam sure someone will answer you here soon.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds like you have covered all of your bases well. Instead of using barbed wire, which I think is a great idea, I put up electric wire. There are pictures on my BYC Page. What hatchery did you get your ISA Browns from. I will be ordering some soon and have found out that not all hatcheries carry them.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. nedfloyd

nedfloyd New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    I am getting the Isa Browns from Rochester Hatcheries in Alberta Canada. (www.rochesterhatchery.com). They have a great reputation in these parts... I will look into the electric fencing - Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by