The chicks are coming...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by onesweetfarm, Mar 22, 2011.

1. onesweetfarm

onesweetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    This is the first time that I have ordered chicks online. I called the post office to give them a heads up that the chicks will be arriving the first week of April. The man at the post office said that they aren't always in the best condition when they arrive. My heart sank, I was looking forward to the arrival of the chicks but now I am worried that they won't make it. For all those who have had chicks arrive by mail, was it successful?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Yes, I have ordered chicks 2 times and ducklings once and I still have all of them 1 year later.I would suggest though to have a bit of sugar in the water when they arrive or some vitamin/electrolyte mix in the water.I also have some coming at the end of April...turkeys,chicks and ducklings so I know how you feel!All of mine have done very well.In fact...the only chicks I have lost were 2 bought from TSC that died within a day of bringing them home.Hope yours arrive safely! [​IMG]

3. onesweetfarm

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Thank you. I have the brooder set up and ready to go. I did by the vitamin/electrolyte packets to mix into their water as well. I also invested in the sweeter heater that I saw advertised in a poultry magazine. I am not new to owning chickens but it has been a long time since my last flock. The hatchery that I ordered from seems to have a good reputation but they did say it could be 2 days before they actually arrive. I am glad to hear that you have been successful with yours. Now to have patience until April! [​IMG]

4. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I'm not sure what your postman is worried about, but so long as you're ordering chicks from a reputable, experienced source, I'd wipe that worry away! I've ordered chicks at least a half-dozen times, and the only time that I've had *any* issues was when I order from a company that was "trying out" doing mail-order chicks for the first time. Even with that issue, most of those chicks were just fine.

Nowadays I order pretty much exclusively from McMurray, but I wouldn't be afraid to order from somewhere else if I wanted to try something new. Just prepare well for your new babies and don't worry.

5. onesweetfarm

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have to say, this site is addictive but I am learning a lot!

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    This site is EXTREMELY addicting.I like that you can talk with other people about your passion for poultry.You can learn SO much on here and most people are friendly and helpful.This site is great for learning about everything from hatching to euthanizing to diseases and anything you need to know about chicken care and maintenance.I would be lost without BYC and so would my chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by