The chicks are here - Pics! Please help me identify!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmerwomanwannabe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. farmerwomanwannabe

farmerwomanwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    So my chicks arrived today from My Pet Chicken. All seems to be going well except one seems to sleep differently than the others - lays down, occasionally stretches out to her side and that worries me a little but she is eating and pooping fine. the other one seems like she will be prone to pasty butt because her droppings dont fall away from her body. Ive already wiped off her vent a couple of times, but it may just be me over worrying. Okay so some of them I can tell what they are for sure, but others I dont know so Id love some help!

Here is what I ordered:

1 Red Star
    1 White Leghorn
    1 Rhode Island Red
    1 Barred Plymouth Rock
    1 White Plymouth Rock
    1 Partridge Plymouth Rock

HOWEVER, I also added in my notes that I really wanted an EE, Welsummer and Orphington, if they happened to have any available on hatch day (they were sold out so I couldnt order them), and I also said substitutions were fine.

Chick 1: This one is my barred plymouth rock. She was the most easily identified. She is also the one that lays down a lot while the others tend to stand up and sleep or goes off and sleep while everyone else is eating. She looks more like a duck the way she lays down.
    [​IMG]

Chick 2: I'm pretty sure this one is my white leghorn. There are only two buff chicks and she has the bigger comb and her feet are more orange.
    [​IMG]

Chick 3: That would make this one my white plymouth rock.
    [​IMG]

Chick 4: Here are where things start to get tricky for me. I think this one is my red star, but I though there is a slight chance she might be a orphington if they happened to send one of those per my request, but Im leaning towards red star. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

Chick 5: By process of elimination, Im guessing this one is then my RIR? She has a black stripe down her back. (She is the one with the sticky butt)
    [​IMG]

Chick 6: Again, process of elimination, the only one left would be partridge plymouth rock, but I kinof think she looks like she could possibly be an EE, if they happened to be able to send one. Thoughts? She is the most fiesty of the bunch, trying to fly and starting to scratch at her paper towel bedding. So cute!
    [​IMG]

Whatever they are, they are so stinking cute!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. farmerwomanwannabe

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    And yes, I used the funny fabric with bugs all over it to see if they would peck at it and they totally did!

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    ohmygosh! I've no idea on identifying but OHMYGOSH they're adorable. [​IMG] I want to snuggle them all!!

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm a newbie, but I have all the breeds u listed and I think u got what u ordered. They r so ADORABLE!!

5. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    The last one is the Partridge Plymouth Rock...this is mine when she as a day old. She was such a pretty little brown chick!

[​IMG]

I don't think you have an Orpington. This (the one in front) was mine again at a day. The Partridge Rock is in the back

[​IMG]

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
  7. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm sad that it seems like you didn't get the special breeds you wanted. Will you get more another time?

8. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I think you have just what you suspect you do. Congrats! They are cute!

9. farmerwomanwannabe

Jun 14, 2011
    Maryland
    haha, no worries, Im still thrilled with the sweet little peeps I have. Im sure I will order more though! Im already thinking of placing an order now for the fall to make sure I get the more popular ones [​IMG]

I had originally planned to get a few older ones as soon as we were finished our coop to have eggs sooner (keeping them quarantined from the new chicks of course), but after reading about all of the disasters with illness from buying older pullets and hens, I dont think I will risk it.

10. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

They are sooooo adorable!! I just put in an order for 34 chicks today with Meyer. They ship July 18! I can't wait to have fuzzy butts again!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by