1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The chicks are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bangor777, May 7, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I picked up my chicks from a fellow byc member at noon today. My daughter and I arrived in town a 1/2 hour early and spent the time checking my watch and watching the water (she lives on the water). At least we had beautiful scenery to pass the time. they are all so gorgeous! We've been staring at them for two hours now, their personalities are already showing. I notice that the two light brahmas are the least friendly at this point, is that the breed? They're feisty and funny, definitely the loudest of the bunch. We're so in love! I'll post pics tomorrow, I have to go stare at them again now [​IMG]
    Lori

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    We want to stare too! Pictures please!

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    So where are the pics?

4. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    You know, the light brahmas were recommended to me by someone who said they would be great to make into pets, but I had noticed the same as you. Not mean at all, but definately more "chicken" than say the australorps or the RIR chicks in the bunch. Maybe with time and treats they will show their true pet-ness. Definately good layers for up here though, small comb, big birds.

Was nice to meet you and your Daughter. Have fun with the chickies!

Maybe some other brahma people will chime in. [​IMG]

5. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    The RIR and the buff EE are definitely the tamest, most laid back of the bunch. My daughter has claimed the buff orpington and it will sleep on her willingly. Thank you again Deanna, I will try to get pics online tonight. My 17 year old named his Barack O'BRahma (I thought that was pretty clever). chicks and kids are loving each other, I"m amazed at how sweet and friendly they all are.
    Happy new chicken farmers!

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    We will be waiting for pictures.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL my light brahma to this day (7 weeks old) screams like she is being killed when you pick her up but then does not want to be put down. I think it is all bluster with them...she will come up to me but not hop on my hand. She is funny. She has recently taken over as the head honcho, a position she took from my NHR, so she is more of the bluster now. [​IMG]

I ignore her, pick her up and say "yes yes I know you are queen and top dog and such a killer...now zip it" [​IMG] She mellows and loves the petting and attention.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

AWW I'm so jealous! I can't wait to get mine in a few weeks. I wish I could get them another way other then mail order tho [​IMG] Can't wait to see pictures [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

We want pics! We want pics! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And corgrads! [​IMG]

10. bangor777

May 4, 2008
    I can't believe it! I looked everywhere and then realized that the camera is at camp! My husband is going to go get it tomorrow. The chicks are awesome, so sweet! The kids had a blast with them and now they are all sound asleep (chicks, not kids) crashed in their brooder. I told the kids hands off till tomorrow, let the little ones rest.

I'll post pics tomorrow night once my camera returns.

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by