The Chicks Are In The Mail...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jtn42248, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Well, I put it off trying to decide on breeds, being undecided on where and how to set up a brooder area, telling myself the coop and run are not ready, it is too cold to ship chicks, and on and on. But, late yesterday I took the plunge and ordered my chicks from Murray which means I have to do my brooder right away...because...THE CHICKS ARE IN THE MAIL!!! They will arrive on Monday or Tuesday (God forbid they arrive on Sunday).

I hope they all survive the trip. I have coming:

5 Barred Plymouth Rocks
    5 Partridge Plymouth Rocks
    5 Blue Andalusians
    5 Colombian Wyandottes
    5 Silver Laced Wyandottes
    1 Surprise Rare Breed (included for free)

all pullets (90 percent guarantee on the sex) except the Rare Breed which may be male and since the weather is so cold they will probably toss in some so called Packing Peanuts (usually random cockerels) for added body heat. So I probably will end up with a Roo or two. That will actually be o.k. I will just have to figure out how to accommodate them all when they move out to the coop in a month or so.

Back Yard Chickens has brought me this far and I have all sorts of ideas about what to do and how to do it. Now I just have to rely on reality and you all to get through this part of it.

Pictures will follow.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Congratulations. Sounds like a nice pretty flock.

You do have to set up the brooder area by tomorrow. It's important to know everything is set the day before they arrive in case a heat lamp goes out or some other unforeseen problem.
    Where are you located?
    What are you going to use for brooding.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They ship over the weekend?!?

Where are they coming from and where are you located?

4. MamaKitty913

MamaKitty913 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2013
    Northrenbornlanow
    You are soo lucky I tried and tried to get the SLW but sadly there was none the 10 different times I called :( but I did get to order some GLW hens :) I picked these because I really liked the sebright but I don't really want bantams to start with maybe next year when I know some more folks in my area who would want to go 1/2's on the 15 minimum that McMurray wanted. My grandson will be needing a chick or two for 4H...

5. jtn42248

I am in West/Central Texas right at the northern edge of the Texas Hill Country. Between Coleman and Lawn with the closest neighbor over a mile away. Me, my partner, eight dogs and soon some 30 chickens to be followed by 3 or 4 Pygmy Goats. The chicks are coming from Murray and the confirmation says delivery between Sunday the 9th and Wednesday the 12th. So, I am hoping they come Monday. Of course it is going to be in the 20's and 30's on Monday but I am ready.

I set up a brooder in a large dog kennel with cardboard boxes cut and attached to block drafts. I have a heat lamp (and a backup with extra bulbs) and the temp is perfect at 95 degrees under the lamp and 55 degrees at the farthest end of the kennel away from the lamp. This is temporary as I suspect that 25-30 chicks will not stay small and will need more space. The brooder is in an unfinished room above my garage and I am, over the next couple of weeks, fixing an area under one of the eaves as a larger brooder. It will be six feet by 7 feet when done.

Then I have a month or two to get the coop ready. The existing coop is 85 sq. ft. with a 250 sq ft run which is covered and has a peach and a mimosa tree growing in it. I just need to do a really good cleaning and reconfiguration of the coop and double up the predator protection on the run.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and good advice. I would never have gotten this far without you all.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Those temps sound perfect.
    You're right to assume they won't stay small long. After a week they'll really grow.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Being in Texas is no relief from cold this year! My cousin lives in Dallas and I guess the got snow this last week.

Good Luck with the chickies!

8. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  9. jtn42248

Sadly these days for a good time you go from Coleman to Santa Anna. Pretty much all of downtown Coleman is empty now. But it is full of friendly people and strives to be a happy place. Older family owned business are hanging on. The population has shrunk a bit over the years, about 5K people now. But, when we found this farm it was love at first sight. It will be hard work but we think we can make it a working farm. Never will get rich but for two old retirees it satisfies.

10. jtn42248

NEW WORRIES. Just got an update on the chicks in transit. They left St. Paul today, the 8th, and the USPS says to expect delivery on the 11th. That is three days in transit. I expect they will be pretty stressed. I will have everything ready to help them as much as I can. I only hope that they arrive alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by