The chicks arrived today, what's left of 'em - pics of survivors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spotlikeschicks, Feb 15, 2011.

1. spotlikeschicks

spotlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    AR
    Well the good news is the shipment arrived, the bad only 7 made it out of 27.
    Here is the thread for the original order:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=451559

Here are the survivors:
    Four of these, looks like Araucanas:

[​IMG]

One of these, looks like a Blue Andalusian:

[​IMG]

One of these, could be an Araucana also?

[​IMG]

And this little black and white one to the bottom left of the waterer:

[​IMG]

2. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    holy crow; only 7 made it?? do you have a guarantee????

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    That's terrible! I'm so sorry, that had to be disturbing to say the least!!! [​IMG]

4. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    [​IMG] So very sorry! Not much worse than opening a box of much awaited chicks and finding little dead ones. That happened here and it feels so helpless. Hope the 7 all make it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Oh how awful, I guess thats why Ive never ordered live chicks, I would feel terrible.....I hope they will refund your money, I dont think id get replacement chicks tho from them

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That's sad. I am sorry.
    although, you might have names for them now...
    How many people were on gilligan's island?

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear so many didn't make it. Good luck with the babies that did, they are cute!

8. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear about the babies... Same thing happened to me twice this month.First shipment of 26,lost all babies,they insisted on reshipping and lost all but 3 out of second shipment.Last time I called I insisted they refund my money.I didn't want them to reship in the first place,but the woman I talked to gave me no option.I asked her if they could put them in a bigger box,because there were way too many crammed into the first one.Even said I'd pay for a bigger box.Second shipment,crammed into lil box and most already dead.My survivors were all roosters,..barred and buff.I ordered some of their BLRW,but could only have 15,but order minimum was 25,so I threw in the rest as roosters since there cheap and hubby sells em anyway.Go figure they would be the only ones huh?

9. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I'm so sorry. I know someone else who had this problem. Out of, I believe, 25 chicks, only a few arrived alive, and they did not ultimately survive. This is reported second hand, but she said that she contacted the hatchery and was told that they have been limited by the post office to shipping on Saturdays (too much volume for the p.o. to handle). She said her chicks had hatched on Thursday and didn't go out until Saturday, arriving to her on Tuesday. If all of these facts are correct, that's just way too much time in transit. I mean we all know that there are risks involved in purchasing/shipping living anything - I have shipped eggs in my incubator at the moment and some of them are the victims of rough handling, not looking hopeful - but five days from hatch til receipt of chicks is just too long. Apparently this shipping policy change was made about a year and a half ago. Again, this information is second hand and not meant to malign as much as to suggest that for those who are purchasing from hatcheries, we check with them regarding their shipping policies before we order. Better safe than sorry.
    Again, I'm so sorry for your loss - it's disheartening to receive them and find them in that condition. And congratulations on the little ones that survived, they're adorable!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry you lost some chicks, good luck with the rest. [​IMG]

IMHO, it's simply the wrong time of year to ship chicks. The weather is just too screwy; warm one day, cold the next. The hatcheries know this, but they also know that if they don't people will just go to another hatchery; so they do the best they can.

Putting them in a larger box would be the wrong thing to do. The chicks need to be tightly packed in to keep them close together, sharing body heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by