The chicks arrived today, what's left of 'em - pics of survivors

So sorry.
sad.png
I had only four of my shipment of 26 make it. Did they put in a heating pack?

You called McMurray right and told them of your losses? I am sorry.
hugs.gif
I am now praying that mine come not trampled and not dead.
fl.gif
They won't be here till April. You aren't the only one one the forum who has had losses from McMurray (as listed above me). Then again, some people have had all 25 plus bonus show up just fine. Are you planning on reordering? Don't give in... once they show up healthy... the fun really begins!

I got my order from Mcmurray a week ago yesterday. All my birds (27) arrived alive. They sent and extra chick and a rare chick. I did have 4 lost due to stress from shipping within the first 48 hours. McMurray credited my credit card back for those birds, and all the other ones are doing great!

I am in NW Wisconsin and it was 7 degrees when i went to get my birds from the post office. They had an extra piece of cardboard around the inside, and they also put a layer of styrofoam in the bottom of the box underneath everything.

Overall, I am satisfied with my order. McMurray was very polite with me. I will order from them them again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Look at the shipping label when your chicks arrive, even tho the hatchery is in Iowa My birds were shipped out of TX! I chose Mcmurrays because of their location thinking that was the closest one, mine had gone from Iowa to tx to MN!

I ordered from Ideal 2 years ago this time of year and many arrived dead. Took the PO 5 days to get them here. What aggravated me most, besides the PO, was the Friday shipping. These hatcheries handle a bad situation pretty well, IMO, except for this. I was free to choose a credit to my card or reshipping (the credit, thanks.)

But then I would be aggravated to order from Mo and live in Mn and have them shipped from Tx, too. Wish I'd checked the label more closely.

I would buy from feed stores or breeders I can drive to, but am not likely to mail order them again. The heck with the breeds I can't get through these options. What I've actually done is have broodies hatch mutts.

Quote:
I assume there's a good chance the chicks didn't originate in Iowa but were shipped from a contract hatchery (is there such a thing?) in Texas.

This gives us all something to consider when ordering chicks - "where will these birds be hatched and shipped from?"

-DB

Last edited:
How dissapointing. I have also placed an order with them. Scheduled for the end of April. I live in Florida so they will get warmer the closer they get. Is it the cold that kills them or is it taking to long?

Quote:
I'm in FL also and haven't bought my chickens yet, (still working on my coop). But I think after reading these disturbing stories, I might go pick up mine from the feed store.

Quote:
Please don't be too discouraged - most folks seem to have good experiences. I'm in Denver where there's snow on the ground with lows below freezing every night. I ordered from a hatchery in PA and after traversing 1,600 miles across the northern part of the US during winter all 26 birds arrived just fine. We haven't lost a single one of these lively little fuzzies over the first 5 days we've had them so far. I think you're just hearing folk's worst stories in this thread. Chicks have been going through the mail for many decades so I think if it were often as bad as what's stated, it would have been abandoned by now.

Here's a shout out to the Freedom Ranger Hatchery for getting our birds to us safe and sound!

-DB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom