The chicks come in at night... can I lose the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scullybird, May 5, 2009.

1. scullybird

scullybird Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    Corvallis, OR
    Hi! This is my first post... and my first flock. We are very happywith our girls, and are nearly finished with their coop. The run is complete, not the coop-proper.

Our flock of five (barred rock, leghorn, RR, and two black stars) are 5 1/2 weeks now. They're fully feathered, except in spaces like inner thighs and under the wings.

We started putting them outside during the day a week ago, when temps are above 55. They love it, and do not seem unduly affected by being outside.

They are brought back in for the evening and night. The indoor house temperature is usually 70-75.

Do they still need the heat lamp? Is the ambient home temp warm enough for them, now?

Thanks for any input!

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    70-75 is just the right temperature for 5 week-olds, so I think you'll be fine. They really do love it outside, don't they? Mine moved out to the coop at 2 weeks old with heat lamps with temps in the 30s, and got to go outside at about 4 weeks and they LOVED it from the first day and never looked back. Good luck with yours!

3. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i think as long as they're warm at night, they should be fine!

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by