1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The chicks first trip outside & visit with the Dog **Pic Heavy**

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by OCChicken, May 6, 2009.

1. OCChicken

OCChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Finally had a nice little break in the weather, so we took advantage and let the girls have their first rop in the chicken yard, they were hilarious and got right after all the bugs, slugs and worms. After about 15 minutes we introduced the big brown "Momma" to the chicks and they weren't the least bit afraid of him, enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharing a worm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Favorite
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. rw1647

rw1647 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Bremerton, WA
    So cute! your dog seems like mine...anything small and furry/fluffy he just LOVES! he thinks our cats, rabbits and guinea pigs are all puppies and kisses them and is SO gentle.. We're making a big deal about how the chicks are "puppies" and he is so excited! I'm thinking we'll wait until they are about the same size as your before we do any formal (supervised) intros though.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I WANT A DOG!

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Our dane used to "mother" anything small. He had a tiny little weeny kitten we rescued for a while. It was hilarious. He even tried to carry it around, and when he snuggled with it the poor thing would get lost in his massive jowls. lol.

Dogs are the best!

I just got rid of my Marans. I do not like Marans. You're look cute though!

5. OCChicken

May 1, 2009
    Quote:Ours Are Barred Rocks (3), 1 Astralorp, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, & 1 RIR they are fun with the dog.

6. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable pix. I hope my dog will be as gentle with our chickens when we get them.

Amosunknown - what did you not like about Marans? I was just researching them today and those chocolate brown eggs are mighty enticing.

7. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwww, love your chocolate delight!
    I have one of those myself!! She's such a mama to all the babies!

8. OCChicken

May 1, 2009
    Quote:I was really surprised at how gentile he is with them, I hope he stays that way since he is a trained duck hunter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by