The chicks just put themselves to bed! =)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    I just watched my 7 week old chicks put themselves to bed for the first time. I'm happy that they figured it out so fast, but man, did they give me a laugh! When the first in the coop decided to roost in the door opening, it was fun watching how the others solved the problem of how to get in. Climb on her head... Try to push under her... Try to push her off the ramp. There was much disgruntled clucking and peeping going on!

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I know how you feel!! The first time my babies put themselves to bed I was soooo happy!!! [​IMG]

Congrats!! [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Congratulations! They grow up so fast, don't they?

4. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    you are so lucky! i spent 20 minutes tonight in a downpour trying to coax my 6 week old girls out from under their coop! I moved them into the coop 5 days ago and kept them in it 3 days and 3 nights. They don't seem to get it yet...last night i had to put them in one by one too. I wonder if i should shut them in it for a few more days so they get the idea. I also wonder if my idea of bed time is not the same as theirs. How dark is dark? I have a light in there and everything...are the little stinkers too young?

5. doop

doop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    n.e minnesota
    Hello tiny 529 im new here too. Its addicting aint it? My chicks and chicken head to bed a half hour before the sun hits the trees. I just moved my chicks to a new coop and they free range in the evenings so i e been playing round up the last couple nights too.

6. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    Hi Doop! Welcome! [​IMG] It is addicting! I've had to really force myself to not buy more chicks than the 5 I've already got!

Mine were 6 weeks old when they left the indoor brooder and went out to their coop/run. We have a fully enclosed run, so they have been out and about every day for almost a week now. It took 4 days of putting them in the coop at night, one-by-one. I think they might have put themselves in yesterday, but Trixie decided to roost in the doorway and the rest seemed REALLY confused about what to do. Tonight, I decided to wait it out rather than intervene right away. It wasn't totally dark out yet, but pretty late dusk (within about 15 minutes, it was actually dark). Again, Trixie roosted in the doorway and the pile-up on the ramp was hilarious! They pushed and shoved and climbed over one another and knocked each other off. I wish I could have gotten some video of it, but it was dark enough that my camera wouldn't register much more than fuzz.

If they keep this up, I'm going to want to be out there to see the show every night! [​IMG]

7. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Pictures! Pictures please!

My 8-week-olds are finally figuring out where the gate to the pen is - makes things MUCH easier than chasing them around the yard to get them inside. How is it that chickens make US feel stupid? [​IMG]

8. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    I can post some of them piling in the doorway tomorrow, though the pictures didn't turn put nearly as amusing as it actually was. [​IMG] I plan on taking my camera out with me tomorrow so I can get some better pictures as I doubt this will be the last time they put on a show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by