This is the third coop we have built. The first one we built was our beginning stages into raising chickens, and was a temporary coop until we had time to build a nicer one. We built the nicer coop the summer of 2017, but had a tragedy over the winter and the coop burnt to the ground in 2 hours. So, this past summer, with starting over with a new flock, we were determined to build a coop that will not have heat lamps or water heaters and will keep our girls safe. To do this, we used hardi-board siding instead of old cedar siding that was on the previous coop. We also put insulation in the floor, ceiling and walls. We have yet to put in some LED lighting inside the coop and an automatic coop door that will be hooked up to a battery. Another lesson we learned from previous coops is to not use the standard chicken wire with the 1” holes. We have lost chickens in the past from raccoons sticking their arms through the wire and killing them. With the hardware cloth, we now have peace of mind that the girls are safe 24/7 from anything getting inside the coop or the run. We also made some chicken swings and perches out of some buckthorn and rope because we’ve found the chickens can get a better grip on something round then a 2x2 board. Overall, we’re very happy in how the coop and run turned out, and we don’t plan on building anymore coops none too soon! PS: There are plans attached to this post if you're interested.