Well, we finally got started on our coop. The chicks come in 4 weeks and it was a beautiful weekend here in sunny Florida. I designed my coop originally for 6 chickens and ended up making it a little bigger for a couple reasons. First, we all know about chicken math, and second, I decided to go with the grain and use materials as they are sold. I wanted to make the least amount of cuts and have as little waste as possible, so.... Here were my plans: Base is 4'X8' - that's the standard dimensions for plywood Walls are 4'X4' and 4'X8'- plywood dimensions From ground to top of coop 6'- found 6' 4X4s The extended run 12' from back of coop to end of run- 12' 2X6 or 2X4 (haven't decided yet.) We've decided to go with a corrugated metal roof that angles from the front down to the back. Coop run floor I'm thinking will be river rocks with sand. I plan on letting the girls out in the afternoons depending on the weather and the kids sports schedules. So, like I said, those are all plans. We'll see how it acutally turns out. And here are some pics of the current situation.