The Chook of my Dreams, please read

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheCrazyClucker, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCrazyClucker

TheCrazyClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    My neighbor owns the farm a mile away from my house. He's really nice, and I've fallen in love with his white Faverolle hen, Opal.
    The love first started when I rescued Opal from getting stuck in snow from a blizzard that had dumped 3 feet of snow onto the area where I live. Opal was actually calm when I rescued her, and only ran away a little bit and reprimanded me with her rock-band vocals for a minute. I took her to my neighbors house, despite the voices in my head telling me, "No, don't do this". I love Opal. I want her for my very own. I know that my neighbor doesn't close his coop at night, and he keeps losing chickens, and I want to act quickly before Opal falls into the hands of a hungry raccoon. I also know my mom doesn't want more chickens, but I could probably talk my dad into softening her up.Also, my neighbors chickens aren't that friendly toward him, so I said I could help tame them and he said YES!! That means I can spend more time with Opal. I've already had a bunch of fantasies, and one that isn't very realistic is that if I do a really great job of helping him tame his chickens, he may tell me to pick a bird from his flock for payment. But one that may be a little realistic is that I could get Opal to follow me around and I'll show so much love towards her that he'll just cave in and tell me I could have Opal. Any help? This is urgent!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    You could offer to buy Opal. If he doesn't want to sell her though, she is his bird. Your mom not wanting more chickens is a valid concern in not asking to buy her though.

3. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    I realize Opal is his bird, but I love her. And I can most likely talk my dad into talking to my mom about it. I get $5 every week for my allowance, and even if my neighbor wants $100 for Opal I'll give it to him. I would. Any more advice?

4. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    Have you talked with the owner about how you feel about Opal? Maybe he would be willing to sell her to you.

Your mom won't accept just one more chicken? Of course you have to respect what she says though, but like you said, maybe if your dad could talk with her, she may be willing. I mean, it's only one more.

A white Faverolle. Sounds very pretty. I've never seen a white one before.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    This is indeed quite a dilemma. It sounds to me like you are much more suited to be her owner.

There are ways to convince him to let you have her.

Offer a trade: one chicken for another.

Offer to buy her: I'm sure if you offer enough money, he'll sell her.

Offer to work for him in exchange for her: if you do a certain amount of work, I'm sure he'll reward you with her.

If none of these work, maybe you can tell him about the danger of leaving the coop open, of leaving them unattended (blizzard), and of any other danger you see possible.

If your mom doesn't want anymore chickens, and she's firm on that, then this may not work out. Remember: what mom says goes.
    This is your neighbor's chicken: You are going to have to make a deal that you both agree on to get her. Remember, this is his chicken, and no does mean no. I wish you and Opal the best of luck. I will be subbing to keep up-to-date on what happens.

Good luck! [​IMG]
    Hannah.

6. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    ehh... that's what you think :) my mom's not to keen on getting another chicken because she said they tear up our barnyard like a freight train. And like I said, the owner is REALLY nice, and I'm definitely not shy on telling him how I feel about Opal. My mother just doesn't call me shy, she calls me outspoken, whatever that means :) and I could offer to pay for half or a quarter of the feed... But I wonder if Opal will miss her old flock? Well, these things, like selling chickens, happen all the time, right? And my flock's pretty docile, just the head hen, Omlette, is a real work of attitude :) but I think Opal would get excepted into the flock pretty quick, right? And my dad's really easy to get to, I can almost say he'll definitely talk to my mom. She is very beautiful! Thanks!! [​IMG]

Who could resist this face?
    [​IMG]

7. You could offer to buy her, but like others have said, you could offer him a million dollars but if he doesn't want to sell her, he won't. Try talking to him first, then if he won't sell/trade/give her to you, then maybe just ask him to close the coop door at night, or offer to do it for him (if you can). That might be the best thing to do anyways if your mom really won't let you have another chicken.

Also, she doesn't look like a Faverolle. A better picture would help, but Faverolles have feathered feet, five toes, muffs, and single combs. She looks more like a Wyandotte maybe.....

8. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks! I think so to :)

1: No! :) my mom wouldn't want to do that, I'm sure
    2. Possibility. She hasn't started laying yet, but she will. What do you think he'll want for her?
    4. I'd do that. I'm a hard worker, and I'll work like the boy in Shilo to get her. (I guess Opal will be worth slightly less work, since she's a chicken, not a dog)
    3. I just wish I could march over to his house and tell him to close his coop at night and take better care of his chickens or I'll tell the Humane Society, but I think that will start a mini Hatfield & McCoy all over again :) My mom told me to drop subtle (ha!) hints on him like "for one of my chores I close the coop at night." and say the bolded part like it's in italics.
    And my mom is REALLY easy to soften up when my dad asks her.
    And I know she is his chicken. I just really want her.

And thanks again! :)

9. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    I would buy her, and anyways, she's not really tame towards him. I forgot to mention his wife, but she's hardly ever out there with the chickens since she's always in her studio sculpting or painting.
    It is possible that I could close his coop every night. I think he'd appreciate it.
    I just realized that. She has some sparse feathers sticking out of her shanks, but I haven't counted her toes. She doesn't have a muff. Her comb isn't what I'd call single. It starts out on her forehead as a single comb, but then at the more back of her comb it turns into a double single comb, but it's definitely not a Wyandotte comb.
    Thanks for your advice!! :)

10. TheCrazyClucker

Nov 30, 2012
    I'm doing my happy dance now...
    My mom was in a really good mood, so I dropped the question:
    My mom listened to my reasons for wanting Opal, and she said there is plenty of room for her at our farm. I didn't even have to bring in my Dad... SHE SAID YES!!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    If Opal's owner is willing to give her to me, I can have her! I'm praying... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have $30 in my piggy bank, I'll give Opal's owner all of it if I can get her!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    YAY MOM!!!! [​IMG]

Since I don't have school tomorrow because of the blizzard, I'll go over to Opal's owner's farm and ask- [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by