The Christmas Coyote (Who received a 243 Caliber 100 grain Christmas greeting) *graphic pics

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by minnehaha, Dec 25, 2014.

1. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Greetings and Merry Christmas! We had an exciting morning up here on the mountain. Our daughter called to me from her room and said "There's a dog outside the fence checking out the ducks", I ran into her room and looked out her window and saw that is was a small mangy coyote. Our 3 ducks were 5 feet from it on the inside of the fence and it was staring at them and licking it's chops! I yelled to my husband "COYOTE" Quick as could be he retrieved the handy dandy tack driving youth 243 caliber rifle which was placed in a strategic location and ready for action..

In a flash he was in our daughter's room exiting the balcony door. The coyote had already taken off because of me yelling "Coyote" and heard our other daughter yelling "where's the coyote". My husband managed to quiet us down so he could try to bring the varmint back. He stood quietly on her balcony with the rifle up and ready and started making young prey distress sounds, without a predator call, but just with his voice. Sure enough, the coyote came back into view from the heavy brush and trees. At 125 yards, over the camper, the fence and through the trees, he had the smallest window of opportunity. He squeezed the trigger and we watched the coyote flip and fall. It got back up, and my husband squeezed off another round and it fell.

He feels that he wasted the second bullet though because the first shot was a kill shot, the second shot was just insurance to make sure it was dead. The coyote was a young female 30-35 pounds and very mangy looking. My husband is a predator killing rock star today, and I am very very impressed! Here are some pictures.

The coyote was behind the fence between the wooden fence posts, the ducks were right where you see them now. They were kind enough to re-enact the scene of the would be crime.
    [​IMG]

Two inches above the bottom of this picture you can see the blood spots on the ground where my husband shot the coyote. He shot from the balcony of the house which is just above the front corner of the camper. He had a very small window of opportunity.
    [​IMG]

The coyote: Such a sad sickly looking animal. I think my husband put her out of her misery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Poor thing - your husband definitely did her a favor! I'm not particularly fond of coyotes, but I don't like to see them suffer.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Merry Christmas! My morning started with getting some very good pictures of the dog that has been killing my chickens. I went out the back door with my camera in my pocket. My rifle was inside, sitting by the front door. So, before he saw me I took pictures for the dog warden. When I got back outside with the rifle of course he was gone! But, now animal control can pick him up and fine the owners! *doing the happy dance* HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

1 person likes this.
  5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! What a Christmas story! "Daddy shot the Coyote dead!" Poor varmint was definitely sickly and by the looks of that chipped canine tooth, she was probably a geriatric specimen. I'm also wondering if she had sarcoptes or demodex mange?

6. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    That is fantastic! So glad you got a positive I.D. and a picture on that dog!!!!! Great job![​IMG]

7. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    It's hard to impress teenage daughters, especially when they are hunters too, but their daddy definitely impressed them today. They understood perfectly that it was a tough quick shot that he made happen by getting the coyote to turn around and come back a few feet, just enough to be back in gunshot range. It was an amazing shot!

Yes, poor varmint. I'm glad she doesn't have to go through the cold winter without a coat. She sure didn't have much fur left, she was practically bald. I noticed that her canine tooth was chipped on one side but not the other, I am also wondering about her disease. I would think mange versus sarcoptes, she didn't have sores like sarcoptes would cause. I'm sure she was one miserable coyote, plus hungry.

8. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    Thank you!

The weird thing about it is that the ducks and the chickens were completely unafraid. I have two roosters who alert on EVERYTHING, yet they paid the coyote no never mind. My guess it that the coyotes circle our fence often but can never get in and the chickens and ducks have become complacent in their presence, The fence is 7 feet high, livestock fence, buried two feet under ground.

9. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote: I believe you're right about that. It sure looks pitiful and miserable. Winter in that condition is no picnic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by