The cock that lays eggs... intersex chicken?

@southernbound13, Cold Hard Fact: if it lays an egg, it's a hen. ;) It truly does appear to be a rooster, though, and if so, then it did not lay the egg. And...chickens--just like people can't, whether they pretend or try to or not--cannot change sex. Gyandromorphs? That's nonsense. Not all or most hens lay the exact same shade of egg...that egg had to have been one of your hens. All I know is, that red chicken is not a unisex...because there's no such thing as that. It's either a male, or a female.
~Ruby
There is such thing as intersex chickens. It is 100% possible

Another thing to keep an eye out for is that one friend or relative. You know that one that might sneak empty beer bottles into a cooler, or hid a giant catfish on a stringer under the dock and sat there wth a trout rod until you walked back to the truck looking for where the beer went. You know, the one that slipped a few guinea eggs in with the chicken eggs when you asked if they wouldn't mind sharing when you had extra eggs.

Catching him is going to be monstrous

Very interesting discussion. If you do decide to isolate "him", move him at night. Much easier to grab a chicken off the roost than have a rodeo during the day.

The only other way to know for sure is to patiently watch the nest boxes to see if you can catch it in the egg laying act -- not just seeing it sitting in the nest box, but entering an nest with X number of eggs and exiting it with X+1 egg.

@southernbound13, Cold Hard Fact: if it lays an egg, it's a hen. ;) It truly does appear to be a rooster, though, and if so, then it did not lay the egg. And...chickens--just like people can't, whether they pretend or try to or not--cannot change sex. Gyandromorphs? That's nonsense. Not all or most hens lay the exact same shade of egg...that egg had to have been one of your hens. All I know is, that red chicken is not a unisex...because there's no such thing as that. It's either a male, or a female.
~Ruby
I appreciate the reply but with all due respect, let's get something straight and clear up a lot of misconceptions and speculation. No one is or has at any point talked about a chicken changing its sex. Not once. An above poster was the one that brought up a "transgender" chicken. I have a degree in biology specializing in genetics and have had the privilege of doing an internship at one of the worlds top genetics labs. I understand chicken sex organs. Gynadromorphs are relatively common in avians and do not change sex, they literally exhibit qualities of both sexes due to distribution of Male and female cells throughout their body. Nothing to do with changing sex. Several research studies on all kinds of species have shown the, frankly rather common, existence of intersex individuals. Gynadromorphs, hermaphrodites, chimeras, whatever you would like to call it, it's a thing. I am aware that if it is indeed laying eggs, it's a hen. The joke is that it is to the naked eye, as everyone had pointed out, obviously a rooster. So it will be strange and amusing if it ends up being a hen (which as has also been pointed out, could very well be just a hormonal issue with a normal hen which would still be amusing).

Secondly, yes I am aware that the most obvious solution would be that a hen is laying the eggs and that not all eggs look the same, but again, it comes down to genes. Blue eggs are genetic. A blue egger does not lay brown eggs. They just dont. A white egger also does not lay brown eggs. They dont possess the ability. I have one hen that is not a genetic blue or white egger so every brown egg is either from her or somewhere else, be it a prank or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom