the cock that never sleeps

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by burntkiwis, Dec 12, 2011.

1. burntkiwis

burntkiwis New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    I gave one of my unwanted cock to a friend of mine. But after taking his time getting in with his hens as he was only 5 or so months old, he now crows all night long as is driving my friend mad and isn't far off being put in the pot. Is this a age thing and something he will grow out of? or is he just noisey? My mate has two hens with the cock in a good size hut and run. There is a flow of birds with a cock a few hundred yards away but this shouldn't be affecting him night time

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Maybe cover the windows of the coop so the rooster doesn't see light at night? I have heard they will crow during the night when they are disturbed.

3. burntkiwis

burntkiwis New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    the windows are painted. He did say at first the neighbours were leaving there out side light on but i think he had a word and now its switched off. But apart from that i dont know what else would be bothering it apart by near by widelife. Any ideas what could be upsetting him? Because I my mate doesn't want to put him in the pot but what can ya do if he is keeping you and your neighbours up all night

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thats the problem with Roosters, my start crowing if the cats or whatever is skulking around the coop. Or if they see a light come on in the house. Its bad for us, but good for them. At least on his toes and warning of danger. Ive started taking Mouth the Silkie Rooster and putting him in an actual Dog house and pushing it up against the wall so he cant see the light, and let him out around 8:30-9:00 Am. It seems to stop him or at least muffles his crow so it isnt' nearly as loud. I don't mind him crowing but Im afraid the neighbors might.

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Any disturbance could set him off (even the rustling of rodents), but also, some just crow and crow and crow and crow.....

If his life's worth the bit of cash investing in a game camera or some other video monitoring device to see what may be roaming the area in the night hours, I'd go that route.

6. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I read on here that this lady's rooster kept crowing every 30 minutes all day and night. She found out that the rooster could hear the clock on her mantle and every 30 minutes it would chime and the rooster would crow. Might look for something that is setting him off.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    An insulated coop is a beautiful thing. Keeps a coop warmer in winter, cooler in summer, quieter at all times....
    JJ

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually have a yard full of roosters. As many as 100 at times. I can tell ya that they crow whenever they feel like it, even all night long. Choices are, get rid of him, get used to it, box him in a sound absorbing barrier or box, or ax him. I have become accustomed to their crowing, even enjoy hearing it, but I can imagine one rooster getting pretty tiresome........Pop

9. freestargirl

freestargirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    NC Foothills
    Our roo sometimes crows at 3:30 in the morning. He's quiet right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by