The color Lavender

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Maximus, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    I was wondering if you breed Two Lavenders together if you would get all Lavenders. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Yes you will get 100% lavender offspring.

3. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    Thanks I did not now if they were kind of like blue or not.

4. WinterSkyMoonRanch

WinterSkyMoonRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    California
    I just purchased some Lavender Standard Cochins. I have a black hen already and a blue one...I understand that crossing the black with the Lavender will create splits, but what do the splits create? The purpose of crossing the black is to create more quality birds, but does the black help with the lavender color? The blue hen, as I understand it, cannot be used with the Lavender as it does not enhance the color...is that correct?

5. WinterSkyMoonRanch

WinterSkyMoonRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    California
    Also, if a person crosses Lavender with Lavender does the color fade over time without infusing some black in it?

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Lavender is self blue. When bred will produce all lavender. The color blue or Andalusion blue results in blue, black and splash though for showing purposes only the blue is allowed.

Breeding black (to improve type) with lavender results in splits, black color with lav gene. When the splits are bred together or back to lavender results in both lav and black. Half of those blacks will be splits.

Edit to add: I know black is needed to improve color in Andalusion blues as that blue is really just a diluted black resulting in grey blue so if your blue color is washing out breed back to the black offspring not splash. I wouldn't think black would help with coloring of lavender blue as it's its own color but then I don't know the self blue at all. Guessing black birds are used so the only split is lavender, if white bird you'll start muddying up the line with recessive white possibly resulting in sports of white birds. The black splits when offspring back to lavender are pure lavender; it breeds true down the lines.

7. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    This is the chart I refer to when breeding Lavenders. The splits are birds that are not visually Lavender but carry one set of the gene. You need two copies for a bird to be Lavender. I only breed my Lavenders to Blacks so for me a split is a visually black bird who carries one set of the Lavender genes, and the Blacks are just that Blacks (do not carry the Lavender gene). I find with using Blacks it makes it easy to determine who the Lavenders are at hatch. I do not breed Lavenders to blues, splashes, or any other color.

Lav X Lav = 100% Lav
    Lav X Split = 50% Lav, 50% Splits
    Split X Split = 50% Splits, 25% Lavs, 25% Blacks
    Lav X Black = 100% Splits
    Split X Black - 100% Blacks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by