The color porcelain?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by that_crazy_lady, Dec 10, 2009.

1. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    What does/should it look like, is it the same in all breeds {what are those breeds?} and how do/would you breed for it.

I don't know the gene signs yet, so if you could just say the color, or color with the sign, I would be vert thankful.

I've seen pics of silkies, some that are and some that coould be. read the post along with them, but they went this way then that. so I'm looking for a clearer understanding, and maybe some SQ photos.

Thanks

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I would be interested in knowing, also!

3. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    To my knowledge porcelain is the lavendar diluted version of the mille fluer. There are a couple of breeds that accept procelain that I can think of off the top of my head which are, D'uccles, D'anverse and Old English Game Bantams.

It becomes tricky now that the silkie group has begun calling a new creation they have bred, a porcelain. This is not the porcelain in the APA or ABA standard and I doubt will be ever accepted with that name. I am not quite sure what makes this color in silkies, but I know for sure it is lacking the mottling gene seen in true porcelain colored birds.

Hope this helps...I know it does not answer all your questions.

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Anyone have a picture of that?

5. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
  6. that_crazy_lady

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Silkies are the exception to the lavender mille fleur description, as they are just a lavender diluted buff. In other breeds, that would be called isabel. In Silkie theory, the worse the buff (a lot of black) the better the porcelain, as there will be more lavender. The silkie above has some kind of pattern gene, but I don't think it's mille fleur. Maybe cuckoo.

8. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Here is the Isabel Porcelain in the silkie

[​IMG]

9. that_crazy_lady

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I see.

Isabel and Gray are not the same are they?

10. poultryinmotion

poultryinmotion Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    I intend to do my best to drop the discription of porcelain from silkies period. They are not a true porcelain as discribed. No two look the same. I intend on a new name for such or, better still no color distiction in silkies. It is I tall order and I will probably devote most of my life to it but then again I devote most of life to my birds anyway. In my mind coming froma ringneck dove background I would rename what is refered to as "porcelain" in silkies as Ash.

Paul

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by