The color splash

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by halo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I could probably find this if I searched long enough, however, Im feeling very lazy, and Im sure someone has an answer. Ive read a lot of posts on genetics, on producing blues. One method starts with a splash, but I can't find how you get a splash in the first place. Can anyone explain, or point me to a thread that explains? Thanks.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ah, well that was easy enough. So only blue to blue makes splash. Bingo. Thank you so much!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It does, but I rarely hatch splashes from my blue x blue Orps. When I do, they're always boys, too! [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Cynthia, how do you get splash then? Is there any other way other than blue to blue?

5. speckledhen

Yep, but only blue to splash, LOL. Blue to blue can yield blue, black and/or splash. For example, from blue to blue I got one black, two blues and one splash. From the next set, a bad hatch of porous shipped eggs, I got two chicks, one blue and one splash, but the splashes from both hatches were cockerels. I'm still waiting for that illusive splash pullet!

6. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    North Florida
    EGH Hi: May I ask where did you get that chart? Thank, JB

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    So only blue to blue makes splash.

Nope, Splash to Splash makes 100% splash. Just had to throw that in there LOL​

8. speckledhen

Well, DUH, of course! Too obvious, huh? But, if you don't have splash in the first place and you're trying to get it, then blue to blue is the only way I know of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by