The colors of these birds, and their future offspring.

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cheyfrie26, Aug 1, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Ok, first of all, the two birds farthest to the right on the board in this picture is the parents of the chick in the 2nd picture.
    [​IMG]
    This is the chick. Is it a hen or cock? If I breed it with the yellow cock bird in the corner of the picture will 75% of the offspring be Yellow?
    [​IMG]
    Random question - Is this a common color for a homer? Its a pearl or an ash-grey with a BROWN bar?!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    colour is a meally, the first pair, red cock/ yellow hen?

The offspring will be a red hen or a red cock carrying dilute.... if it's a hen and you mate it to the yellow cock, you'll get all yellow hens and red split cocks... so 50-50.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    The first squeaker, there is no telling. If there are any blue/black flecks, then it is a male for sure. If not, then it could be either.

Who are the parents of the second squab? It should just be a dirty ash-red bar. So yes, it is common. It could also be a homozygous indigo blue bar or an ash-red bar with indigo (homozygous or het) and dirty. But regardless, it is definitely dirty. I'm banking on the first possibility.

4. cheyfrie26

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    The second squabs parents is a cock in the back of the top picture and the mother is a normal blue barred hen.
    But the chick in the second picture doesn't have any spots.

5. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    I would call the middle bird a brown. Its doubful you will get yeoows. That is a real hard color to breed for. If there is any darker color it will be dominate.At least thats been my experience. I have even tried yellow to yellow and if one of them has another color in the background its hard to get yellows. Needless to it is my favorite color.

6. cheyfrie26

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Thats what I thought also. I guess i'm gonna have to buy more yellow rollers cause these rollers picked their mate and their sticking with it. I've tried about 3 times to re-pair them but the darn things never gave in.

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yellow mated to yellow can only produce yellow/ silver/ khaki... depending on what the cock bird is split for..... there are only 3 basic colour on pigeon ash red/ blue/ brown... dominance left to right... yellow (in your bird case) is caused by a sex link dilute gene.....

another form of yellow is a dilution of autosomal rec red..... which have a better uniform covering on the birds.....

in short, if you mate 2 phenotype dilute birds, you will get 100% dilute offsprings...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. ImTheRealElly

ImTheRealElly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Quote:well how would you like someone to re -pair you because they didnt like the color of your mate? LOL

9. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:The first baby is ash-red, not brown.

ASSUMING THIS ASH-RED BABY IS NOT SPLIT FOR BLUE OR BROWN:
    If this baby is a male and is bred to a yellow then you will get:
    - Half of the males will be yellow, half will be ash-red carrying dilute
    - Half of the hens will be yellow
    If the baby is a hen and is bred to yellow you will get:
    - All yellow babies, unless the dad was split for another color. But regardless, all babies will be dilute.

10. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:So an ash-red cock with a blue bar hen? Then it is just a dirty ash-red bar baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by