The comb on 3 of my 6, 10 week old chicks are bent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ericnash, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I am new to backyard chickens and I have a concern that my chickens have a disease. Is a bent comb something to be concerned about? They are eating and drinking well, and 1 seems to have light stool, but is acting fine. Any suggestions?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Depends on what you considered bent? Can you post a Picture?
    Have you checked them for worms, lice or mites???
    is the comb pale or cold?

3. ericnash

Jun 13, 2011
    I sprayed them for lice and mites. How do I check them for worms?

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    some chicks have worms and show No signs or symptoms. There are many types of worms and each has its own set of symptoms.
    Hair worms -Diarrhea (usually green), pale yolks, anemia and birds looking hunched, wings sagging. Death with large infestations.
    Roundworm -Loss of egg production and pale yolk color and anemia are the biggest signs of a large roundworm infection as well as a loss in weight gain for growing birds. Birds can look depressed and eventually if the infestation is heavy, they can die.
    Gizzard Worm -Young geese lose condition, stop putting on weight and start to lose weight. They will eventually waste away if left untreated.
    Tape Worms-Diarrhea and weight loss. Death can occur with large infestations.
    Caecal Worms-None. Birds will carry caecal worms without showing any ill-effects.
    Gape Worm-Infestation causes respiratory distress. Gasping for breath or 'gaping' as it is known is the biggest sign of gape worm. Shaking of the head and neck stretching are common. When birds are held, gurgling or a 'tracheal rattle' can often be heard. This can often be confused with respiratory infection, if in doubt, check for other signs of respiratory disease. If a heavy infestation occurs, death by suffocation will occur. Fully grown gape worms are 'Y' shaped and vary in size between 1 and 2cm long.

Some times it is best to just go ahead and worm them....follow the directions on the wormer that you pick.

Best Wishes,
    Laura

5. ericnash

Jun 13, 2011
    Thank you so much for the detailed response!!! This is my first time on this forum and I really appreciate your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by