The compassion we show animals is definitive about our capacity to be

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksChick, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The compassion we show animals is definitive about our capacity to be compassionate.

I'm just heartbroken to hear about the cruelty some humans show animals.

That is all.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    St. Francis of Assisi once said "If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men".

That about says it all in my book. [​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Alright Sir Francis...I have never intentionally sheltered a cockroach and if I can help it, I never will! But ya know...I do have a soft spot for mice. I would rather release a mouse than kill it in a trap anyday.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Depends on if roaches are God's creatures... [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I even have a Bugzooka so that I can catch and release those giant spiders that get into the house and scare the dickens out of me!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have seen a direct correlation between the way a person treats animals and the way he treats other human beings. I avoid the ones with no compassion toward animals. Even meat birds deserve to be treated decently till they fulfill their destiny, IMO.

***Insects are not included in my "animals" definition.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I appreciate all of these comments. I had just had enough of the kind of thing that is accepted in some circles. The kind of inhumane, horrific behavior that is somehow okay because it's this species instead of that...

There are times when I think humans are the worst animal...

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Having worked at a women's shelter, I can tell you that studies have shown that a man (or woman) that mistreats animals has a higher likelihood of being a woman beater.

If at all possible, I will carry an insect outside rather than kill it. There are a few exceptions. I kill wasps and hornets and if a spider ends up in the shower with me (has happened a few times in this old house) I don't take the time to carry it outside. I grab the shampoo bottle and wham!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I agree...
    There are some sick puppies in the world. [​IMG]

10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Me too but disease carriers (Mosquitoes, flies, and roaches) end up dead, sorry- cant get sick or let my baby get sick just because it got into my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by