The Compost Container build :) **Pic Heavy**

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mexiontheloose, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Mexiontheloose

Mexiontheloose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    My Coop
    Well, as our little "farm" has grown, we needed to upgrade from our existing plastic box compost bin with the turning one next to it. So I was given the task of making one. :) With a budget of 250 dollars and three days time (I set my own deadline), this is what I came up with! Hope you like it!

DAY ONE:

It started with a plan in my head and this pile of lumber and hardware cloth!
    [​IMG]

I started building out the frame, back panel first. I decided to make it 7' L x 3' D x 3' H.
    And it would have two sides a 4' x 3' side for fresh yard waste and a 3' x 3' side for stuff that has broken down more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1/2 the front done with the middle connector in.
    [​IMG]

Not too shabby looking!
    [​IMG]

I used these brackets to connect the top pieces on the front for removal, you'll see why later.
    [​IMG]

I then added these cedar deck slats that were 1" x 6" and made it so they can be removed, one by one. You'll see later.
    [​IMG]

I added hardware cloth to the back.
    [​IMG]

Added it to the center divider.
    [​IMG]

Made the lid for the large side before calling it a day.
    [​IMG]

DAY TWO:

I made the lid for the smaller side and then had to add hardware cloth to it.
    [​IMG]

I attached the lids to the back side with door hinges. 3 for the large side and 2 for the small side.
    [​IMG]

Here's me next to it, so you can get the idea of the size of this! LOL
    [​IMG]

DAY THREE!:

The sun FINALLY came out (yay Seattle!) so I moved it outside next to my chicken coop.
    [​IMG]

I removed the top piece and some of the slats that way I can transfer the compost from the old container to the new enclosure.
    [​IMG]

As I added more compost I added slats in. :) Pretty spiffy, eh? :)
    [​IMG]

Then I needed to rake leaves....1st day on the job and already 1/2 full! :)
    [​IMG]

Well here's out little setup! :) Love my chicken coop (I designed and built this too! My Coop Page)
    [​IMG]

Well there you have it. Three days and less than 250 bucks and we now have a nice compost enclosure! :) Hope ya like it!!! We sure do!

1 person likes this.
  2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Very nice:thumbsup

3. Sallysec

Sallysec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2012
    New York
    That is awesome, your coop is beautiful too. Great work ...wanna do mine? Lol

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I love the "green roof" on your chicken run. What a neat little coop.
    How many chickens do you have in there?

You have some talent for building with wood. Very nice compost bin.
    I would love to have something like that, but it is just not practical for our environmnet.

Are the wood slats for the front just sitting between two boards, so that they slide into place, or do you have them screwed on?

5. Mexiontheloose

Mexiontheloose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks! :)

I have three girls :) And they spend a good deal of time out in the yard. The coop's footprint is 7' long by 3'W. :) And the henhouse is 3 x 3 :).

The slats are in between two boards, and on the bottom side of each slat I screwed in three screws to make the spaces to allow airflow from the front :)

thanks for your compliments, I fake most of it, but I get an idea and I sketch it out and then fumble my way through it until completion! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by