1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

~ The Cookie Baker's Club ~

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by awesomefowl, May 18, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

This thread is for cookie enthusiasts of all ages. The only rules are that you must post a recipe or at least a link.

Here is what I made two days ago.

WHOOPIE PIES

(from AARP magazine; no, I don't get it my dad does! I'm not that old!!!)

Makes 15 whoopie pies

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup cocoa, sifted

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup buttermilk

Filling:

3/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

1 1/2 cups prepared marshmallow creme

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. With an electric mixer, beat the sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla until light and creamy. In another bowl, mix the cocoa, baking soda, salt, and flour; then blend with buttermilk into the creamed mixture.

3. Drop batter by the heaping tablespoon onto greased baking sheets and bake 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from the baking sheets and cool on wire racks. Makes 30 mini-cakes.

4. To make the filling, mix together all ingredients well.

5. To assemble, sandwich a heaping tablespoon of cream between two cakes, dividing cream evenly between the 15 whoopie pies.

They turned out really good.
    What have you been baking?

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've made some real good chocolate chip cookies from a box mix . . . .
    I do have a few recipes from scratch that I will have to dig up and post for this thread. .

GOOD IDEA Awesomefowl

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is our favorite cookie....

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

4- ounce stick of salted butter
    7- ounces shortening
    1- pound brown sugar
    4- ounces white sugar
    1/4- cup heavy cream
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    1 whole large egg
    2 large egg yolks

1 pound + 2 ounces bread flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    8 ounces finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325°

In a large mixer bowl, on medium speed, cream butter, shortening and sugars until very light and fluffy…about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the liquids one at a time and beat well after each.

In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients and stir well to distribute the ingredients.

A little at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. When all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, add the nuts and chocolate chips; by this time your mixer bowl may be full so you may have to stir them in by hand.

Using an ice cream scoop make dough balls, 2 ounces each and place 6 balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 18 minutes.

Cool cookies on a cooling rack by sliding the parchment paper off the cookie sheet onto the rack.

Store in airtight container.
    Makes 40 cookies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    WWWwwow Those chocolate chip cookies look like to die for . . . . .

I sure have a hankering for some chocolate chip cookies. . . .

I am going to go check my pantry for the ingredients right now!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Off to make brownies and no bakes right now.

6. HoldensLandingChickGirl

HoldensLandingChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Northwest Connecticut
    Monday late afternoon is baking day for me - I will be trying that chocolate chip cookie recipe!

7. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I made these yesterday and they are seriously good!!

Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars

For the crust:
    1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 cups flour
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the filling:
    6 extra-large eggs at room temperature (I used 9 of my large eggs)
    3 cups granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
    1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 to 5 large lemons)
    1 cup flour
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
    Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I made these as part of my Christmas cookies and they are good but I think the next time I make them I'm going to use a recipe for real caramel. The caramel layer tasted too much like sweetened condensed milk to me and not enough like caramel, but they were still good and very rich. I added pecans to the caramel layer.

Caramel Shortbread Squares

Ingredients
    · 2/3 cup butter, softened
    · 1/4 cup white sugar
    · 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    · 1/2 cup butter
    · 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    · 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    · 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
    · 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3-cup butter, white sugar, and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 9-inch square-baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
    3. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1/2-cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Cool until it begins to firm.
    4. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir and continue to heat and stir at 20-second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Chill. Cut into 1-inch squares. These need to be small because they are so rich.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by