1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

The Coop De Vil, or how I spent my entire weekend

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrwoodboat, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Well due to chicken math, we needed a new coop- we have one for our silkies, one for our Buff Orpingtons, one for our Ameracaunas and we needed one for our eggers..so, since I had a 10x10 dog pen and a bunch of scrap wood and 8 old aluminum signs, I got to work early Sat a.m. We wanted easy access to eggs, check, needed plenty fo room for the 8 chooks, check, easy clean-out, check....I think we have everything covered this time around.
    The lower sides slide to open up for clean out- we put some old lino flooring down to make it easy to clean. The sides, and roof are made out of aluminum signs that have a plastic core (similar to Coraplast) they were printed on one side only so we put the blue protective coated side out (eventually, the plastic sheeting will go away leaving a white surface that is easy to wash and clean. Finished size is 4' x 5' x 30" tall sides. It has two roosts running the entire length and poop boards underneath both.
    We hung our bucket waterer off of one side, the feeder will go in the other underneath, the underneath is open and should be a source of shade...next weekend, we install the tin roof over the pen...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    very nice!

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Wow! You got a lot accomplished in a short time you should be proud of yourself. Good job.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pretty cool! I assume the eaves are open but I don't see much ventilation.

5. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    correct, the eaves are open - there is a 3 1/2" space running down both sides as well as the ends- also, the sides have a gap between them and the floor of about 1" on both sides so we should get good up flow as well as side to side.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by