The Coop Expansion.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We have started extending the coop. We have spent $17 and shouldn't have to get anything else except for tin.... We are adding on about an 8x8 area to our 8x8 coop. Progress will be slow because of the heat. The slope is more drastic than the existing slope for a reason, I thought it'd look cool. We may or maynot repaint the coop, depending on different situations. We will be doing a garden and a walk way.

Before we had a hinged piece that provided another open side and shade.
    [​IMG]

We removed it since it would be in the way now. We are keeping that door there to act as an entrance to the standard coop from the storage area. In the storage area is the breeder pens.
    [​IMG]

Our helpers aren't enjoying helping
    [​IMG]

Then I started digging a hole
    [​IMG]

And another hole
    [​IMG]

And then put poles in the holes and secured them together to form the wall. (Not a complete wall, but a wall)
    [​IMG]

We hope to finish the roof today, but depending on weather it may or may not happen.

I hate to bump my own thread, but I just wanted to add this update [​IMG]

Got the roof almost done. We didn't have enough money for the tin this paycheck, so that will come later. We were going to go for a dramatic slope, but after considering less slope = more shade, we tried to match it to the existing coop. The tin will have to be fixed, but for now it's okay. It's just shy of 8x8. Willow approves of the new shade [​IMG] There is a lot of cleanup left to do, and a lot of work to still be done, but we are hot. In the coop it is about 94. Thats with fans going [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still need to get plywood cut for the back and side, take down wire on the south side and put up the chainlink panels that are more secure.

Update for today. Started the fencing. The fence was free, though not sturdy. It should do well enough to start though. We still haven't finished the front. Taking a while [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just finished it. Just need to do clean up, mow the grass and when we get more money, put tin on it and we still have to get the roosts. Besides that, heres the coop.

[​IMG]

The inhabitants, 4 standards.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    (added the stuff here to first post)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That is a fun looking coop! I love your imagination & how you have built such a fine home for your flock on a small budget like that. $17.00? I spent $48.00 on 3 sheets of exterior grade plywood ~ and it's sitting in our box truck. Hubby put it away before the rain ruined it, now he's lost interest.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We only had to buy a few things. There was already an 8x8 coop there. That one cost about $150 to build, can't quite remember. We use OSB and stain it, then paint it. We have osb that is 2 years old and not chipping yet. I don't see paying $20 for one sheet.... We got OSB for $5. It's a simple structure, helping to make it cheap. The wire was given free because the guy had too much and didn't want to take it back, he gave us 75' of 4' tall 2inch chicken wire. I don't really like chicken wire, but it was free. We used 2x2s to keep it light and they are still stable. But the thing that will jack the price up is we have to get 5 pieces of 12' tin. They are like $12-$15 each! Probably won't be able to afford that until September...

We also are planning on building a "patio' off of it. Not fenced in, just a place for us to sit and shade for the dogs. The coop will end up being an L shape when we are done.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Looks great! Kudos to you guys for getting it done in this heat -- can't imagine how you did it. I've not accomplished much of anything outside for the last couple of weeks. Today was the first day I was able to sit out in relative comfort and spend a little time with the flock. Thank you Lord for the break!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by