The coop got too hot...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allig8r, Jun 18, 2007.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank GOD hubby was home today!! I sent him out to refill the feeder (see other thread) because from my chick-cam, it looked empty.

Weelllll... he said they looked funny--they were panting and trying to get into a corner that had no shavings in it and hiding under the roost. He said the upper part of the coop (closed off to be used as a brooder) was beastly hot. I told him to move them to the underside of the coop (which also has a small, protected run for them). An hour later, he says they looked much better.

Meanwhile, I put them back up in the brooder at 8:30pm (it was 75*) and they CLAMORED in a corner...?! This wasn't huddling, this was smothering. I tried to remove them one by one, but they kept going back...? It's been about 30 minutes and I'm about to go up and check on them via "chick cam". Any ideas?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmmm... how old are they? What is the temp they are supposted to be at? Are they scared of something? Cold after being heated?

3. Poultryisgood

Poultryisgood Cooped Up

Jun 15, 2007
    Place a Tarp or something blocking the sun over there run so they can get under it also add ice cubes to there water even take some freezer/Sandwich bags filled with ice cubes and lay it throughout where they are and they will actually sit on them to keep cool good luck!

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwww, I hope they didnt get chilled. Let us know...now im worried for you.

5. allig8r

They are just over 3 weeks old. The temp inside the coop was the same as outside because we had the roof open. It may have been a degree or two warmer, but not likely.

Earlier in the day, I have no clue how hot it was--just that hubby said "it was pretty hot in there". [​IMG] Once he moved them, they stayed outside in 91* weather all day (in the shade, but access to the sun if they wanted). They loved it.

ETA: just saw the other posts. Do you think they'd be too warm now, at 75*?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wouldn't be too warm....not if they are huddling. They should still be at about 85 degrees. So everyone still huddling?? They have fresh water? And a heat lamp??

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    If my calculations are correct, 3 week old chicks should be kept at 75 - 80 degrees. If it gets below 75 during the night, they might be cold. How wonderful you have a cam to check on them!!

Ellen

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Deb must have posted when I did! If she says 85, I won't dispute that. In fact, now that I think about it more carefully its 90-95 for week one, 85-90 for week two and 80-85 for week 3. You know...5 degrees less each week. Hope your babies are okay!!!

Ellen

9. allig8r

I hope they're okay, too. It didn't get below 75* and they weren't huddling outside whatsoever. Only when they got back inside. And it wasn't so much like "huddling" as it was kind of like they were after something and it must've been behind the walls--but there's nothing there. It was kind of hysteria--not cold-huddling... kwim?

They have a lamp, but they're not huddled under it. They're still clumped together, though. They've calmed down, but still bunched.

[​IMG]

10. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    In the coop, my chicks piled up like that every night until they were about 9 weeks old. I would separate them and they would go right back to it, even standing up and peeping loud and trying to get up under each other. They outgrew it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by