1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The coop has been started!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by callen0912, Mar 28, 2015.

1. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    All the credit goes to my cousin who did all the work. I was able to help for a couple hours. I decided to do a 4x6 size. This is how much got done today. We did a 2 1/2" gap that will be covered with hardware cloth at the top of the two walls we got done today for ventilation. Do you guys think I need more? We're considering doing a small and narrow "window near the top of one of the walls we haven't gotten up yet. Dimensions are 51 1/2" wide and 75 1/2" long. Highest point of the slope is 4 feet and the shortest point is 3 1/2 feet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Sounds ok. If you live in a very hot climate you may want more. Where you live can determine how much air flow. You don't want too much in a cold winter climate

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    How many birds will be in there and where do you live? You'll likely need closer to 1 sq foot per bird.

4. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I
    have 5 currently and wanted a little room to add more in the future. The 5 I have now are currently about a month and a half old.

5. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I decided to do the window, but we are keeping the cutout and using it as a cover to keep closed during the winter. I live in the North Georgia mountains. Our winters can mild but can also be cold, same with our summers... They can be pretty mild but they can also be hot at times too.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. Sounds like you have your bases covered. Chickens should be happy.

7. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I'll be back with pictures ones it's actually here and finished. I think I'm more excited for my chickens than I am about having an actual coop lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by