The coop I am getting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchknmama, Apr 7, 2011.

1. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    Here is a picture of the coop I am getting. I have 5 baby chicks now and that is all I will have as we are in a subdivision. I want a larger run on it, the footprint for this is 4x7 , how much larger would any of you recommend it being for the run part?
    [​IMG]

I just can't wait!!
    [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

chickens require 4 square feet each in the coop and 10 square feet each in the run.

To make the run fifty square feet youd have to extend it from 4 x 7 to 4 x 12.5 feet or rounding up 4 x 13 feet. So that would be an additional 6 feet.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    perchie.girl :

chickens require 4 square feet each in the coop and 10 square feet each in the run..

I consider those numbers minimums. More is much better, both for the chickens and for you. The higher the stocking density in a given area, the harder the chicken keeper's job to keep it clean enough for health.

Another thing to consider about the coop you're looking at is ventilation. A good number for that is 1 square foot of vent per chicken (so in your case 5 square feet), positioned so it can be left open in the winter without allowing drafts over the birds. If you live someplace with hot summers, you'll want additional ventilation down lower that can be closed off in winter.​

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:I consider those numbers minimums. More is much better, both for the chickens and for you. The higher the stocking density in a given area, the harder the chicken keeper's job to keep it clean enough for health.

Another thing to consider about the coop you're looking at is ventilation. A good number for that is 1 square foot of vent per chicken (so in your case 5 square feet), positioned so it can be left open in the winter without allowing drafts over the birds. If you live someplace with hot summers, you'll want additional ventilation down lower that can be closed off in winter.

Except if you live in a cold climate like I do. I have much more success with a coop 4 square feet per bird or (gasp dare I say it) LESS. The trick is proper ventilation. In a run, bigger is ALWAYS better no matter the climate.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, that's a really cute coop. I personally would make that chicken run twice as big, and truly three times the length if it's in your budget. And if you can't let them out to free range, I would definitely make it three times the size.........

Good luck with your little flock!

Sharon

6. kwork

kwork Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    perchie.girl :

chickens require 4 square feet each in the coop and 10 square feet each in the run.

To make the run fifty square feet youd have to extend it from 4 x 7 to 4 x 12.5 feet or rounding up 4 x 13 feet. So that would be an additional 6 feet.

And since every lumber yard carries 8 ft lumber, why not go to 16'?​

7. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    Thanks so much for all the advice. We do gett fairly cold winters and the guy building itlives here and knows the climate. There is good ventilation all around and he took careful consideration in the construction. I will find out how much more it will be for him to add it when building it or else we will do it when we get it home. I really wanted to build the whole thing but we seriously lacked the tools and don't know anyone here that could help. With us both working full time, me going to school for 4 more weeks and our 5 young kids...I didn't see us amateurs getting it done in time. I will definitely build the next one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by