1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Coop is 75% done.......PIC HEAVY!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brounii, Oct 5, 2010.

1. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    Hi everyone, I decided to post some pictures of our adventure building our coop. It's been a trying experience, but a rewarding one. The structure is an 8'x12' with the coop part being a 4'x8'. We have 8 Plymouth Barred Rocks that are 6 weeks old, and I can't wait till we get the coop done so we can put our girls out in their new home. Here goes:

Initial framing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the door I made and hung .... I'm so proud of myself! It was really difficult to figure out. (we used 1'x4's and sandwiched hardware cloth in between the 2 layers. Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself, lol)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of our girls.....yes, we know.....they are getting too big for the cage we have them in right now. That's why we're hurrying to get the coop done, lol. Rest assured on nice days we take them outside in a playpen with a sheet over the top. They love it! They get to stretch their wings and hop and play. Quite amusing to watch them!
    [​IMG]

We got our pop door finished today (thank goodness)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's our roosts....we used a set of stair risers with 2'x4's set on their flat side to keep our girls feet toasty warm during the cold months.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sorry there are a lot of pictures, but I took so many and they are hard to pick and choose from, lol. Plus, I'm proud of them all! There will be more as we finish the coop up. We still have to put the trim pieces around the vents, windows, and nest box doors, put the ramp up for the chickens to get in and out of the coop, put sand in the run area, put up more hardware cloth, and put the green corrugated Tuftex roofing on. Phew, that's all, lol! Enjoy the pictures! [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Very nice job! Don't worry about posting too many pics...we love pics! Unless it's the same one over and over [​IMG]

3. Chief

Chief Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Great job! Very nice, coop & run. What will the roofing be?

4. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    That looks good!! Love the colors!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

VERY nice! I like the stair risers idea.... nifty touch!

Your girls should be very happy in their new home!!!

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Beautiful coop, but I see roosters.

7. cass1776

cass1776 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    Mass
    Awesome looking coop!......well done [​IMG]

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] nice job!!!!!nice looking chickens too!

i see maybe atleast 2 roos

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Looks superb. Lots of space for them in that run.

Can I ask what technique you used to join the corners of the main timber sections?

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by