the coop is built!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swoop, Apr 10, 2009.

1. swoop

swoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    nyc
    i am soooo excited - the coop is finally functional and the girls are in it:[​IMG] [​IMG] i thought we'd never finish it (thanks to dh and ds and friends) - well still have to paint the outside and finish the outside run. the neighbors came to see it - everyone is actually as excited as i am - they are fascinated with the chickens - its a novelty here (nyc). now i have to be extra extra careful to keep smells down - any suggestions/old tricks/words of wisdom are totally appreciated - its an 8x8 space - linoleum floor - 2-3 inches of pine shavings on the floor - ridge cap vent in the roof with a half inch gap - vents on top of front doors - two really neat salvaged double pane windows (got those on craigslist for 20$) more ventilation, and we put a sliding screen in for when we leave the front door open. i grow organic veggies, herbs and fruit and figured i would grow a ton of lavender and basil around the run and coop to help keep the area fresh - in additon to cleaning it out frequently - also i was thinking instead of composting the manure above ground i may try to dig a pit and bury it to further prevent any odor. someone was talking about the protien source in the feed that is pork derived causing real smelly poop? what is the alternative?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Pictures, Pictures!!![​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    idk! But I think it's fascinating and wonderful that you are allowed to have chickens in nyc. If there, why not anywhere?!

I've composted for years but never heard of doing it in a pit. But then mine are never well balanced and take forever to break down. People compost in bins and barrels but they have vent holes. Just have no idea. Might be tricky to turn it. Where did you run across that about the pork in the animal feed?

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Quote:Yes, yes, we want photos!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. swoop

swoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    nyc
    i took a bunch of pics i just have to download them and put them up - tonight i am just being a worry wart and going out in the back yard with a flash light to check the girls - they are all sleeping on the floor - i am wondering if we put the roosts up too high. the highest is 4ft. and there is one at about 3ft - or maybe i will need to put them up a few times so they get the idea - they only had small low roosts in the brooder and in the house. i think i saw the mention of pork based protein somewhere on byc - i have to try and find the post again but i didnt remember seeing what other source of protein is better.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine are 7 weeks and most sleep on the floor. A few sleep on the low chick roost; plan to get the real roosts built this weekend. They're a bit young to be looking for a higher roost yet, though they jump up on higher things in the coop. Some people find they have to put them there at first, but I suspect mine will make the switch in the next few weeks.

If there is some more definite age for switching to roosts, idk what it is, probably 3 or 4 months? You didn't mention how old yours are.

If you learn anything new about composting in a pit, I'd be interested to hear about it.

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You have some wonderful ideas about odor, so going to add that to my list. I have over 5 acres, so odor won't be a big issue, but still anything you can do to help keep it clean and fresh smelling has to be a plus!!

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Will the chickens eat your lavender and basil? Asking because I've been thinking about using lavender near our to-be-built coop as well but have read that chickens will decimate garden plants.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:My chickens love anything that is leafy. So Your basil we be loved by them. Mine ate basil and parsley to the ground. Not sure about lavender, that is not real leafy and I have not had any experience with them with Lavender.

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    And we need to see pictures of the coop. We love pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by