The coop is finally done! Whew....PIC HEAVY

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So, many of you read my post 10 or so days ago about getting hit by a tornado. Well we decided to take the opportunity to build our birds a new coop/run. We went with the easy 4x8 size, up off the ground, using a 10x10x6 dog lot as a run. Neither I or my wife have any experience doing this kind of thing. Our first small coop was built using the stairs going up to our house, and was pretty cramped. The really tough part (and very NOT fun part) was the dog lot. We purchased a used one off craigslist, that turned into a disaster. Inside the lot at the previous owners house was an old dog house she was using for some chicks at one point. While taking down the chain link fencing, I bumped into the dog house and out swarmed about 5000 mutant hornets. After realizing we'd survive our numerous stings, we devised a plant to pull the top pole down, hopefully angling the whole thing up and over the nest of death and pain, pull it away from there and dismantle it 50 feet away. About halfway into that plan, the whole thing fell apart, plastic corner pieces cracking in half, and smashing the dog house releasing a cloud of very angry hornets. I probably should have walked away at that point, but the savings was over 250 bucks, and that's a lot of money. So a job that should have taken 20 minutes, took hours, as we continually had to retreat from the mess and let the hornets settle down before continuing to work.

After getting all the parts home, we found that the replacements parts were not available. At least not locally. So we went to Lowes and purchased some things that would work, even if it wouldn't look very good. In the pics, you'll see the dog lot leaning. It IS stable and structurally sound. It just isn't pretty and won't be winning any awards for having all 90 degree angles or anything
lol.png

Very proud of the coop. We worked hard on that. The dog lot is not predator safe yet, but will be in a few weeks. Until then, they will be locked up in the coop during the night hours, and free ranging during the day anyway, so nothing to worry about. We'll end up replacing the plastic poultry netting across the top of the dog lot with good stuff, and along the bottom. We introduced them to their new home last night. Ohhhh, that was fun. And then to get them from the run into the coop? Everyone one of them had to be handled and placed up the ramp. But they'll get it.

Now for the pictures...

102_4370.jpg

102_4369.jpg

102_4367.jpg

102_4380.jpg

102_4384.jpg

102_4382.jpg

102_4388.jpg

102_4393.jpg

102_4386.jpg

102_4394.jpg

102_4395.jpg

102_4418.jpg

102_4421.jpg

102_4415.jpg

102_4416.jpg

102_4427.jpg

102_4429.jpg

102_4430.jpg

Looks great!

One warning: Laying the tarp over the top like that, flat, will result, after the first big rain, in your pen top tearing off, possibly injuring or drowning chickens! I was lucky that when mine did that, no one was hurt. But trust me--it doesn't work!

I just did a major reno on my dog pen run -- you might be interested.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19926-mud-eradication-project

Quote:
Great coop!! I completly agree about the tarp!! TRUST me I almost had 2 sides of my run collapse on me a week ago!! It amazed me the damage it did!!

Quote:
Very good idea. I'm going to have to plan for that (I'm tapped out at the moment....this was more expensive than I hoped) and find a way to make sure it doesn't pool up on the tarp. They really need something up there right now, temporarily, for shade. Most days though, they will be free ranging. It's really only these next couple while I'm letting them identify with the new coop where it's really important they have shade.

Thanks for the tip!

By the way, in the finished pictures you'll see straw as bedding in the coop. That was temporary. I had purchased what I thought was pine shavings, but the feed store gave me cedar. I of course had to return that today for pine and the straw is now under the coop and was replaced with pine. I may do sand at some point, but not sure how much weight that will add to the inside, and wonder if it's strong enough. I was in the coop, and I'm a big guy, so probably. But again, money is an issue right now....

Quote:
Use shade cloth then, instead. It had small holes through which the water will run so you don't bring the whole thing down.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom